Home Chat General Chat

Day in the Lakes

Hey all,
Haven't been on here since the new forum started, mostly due to logging in problems. Just wanted to see if anyone was going to "Day in the Lakes" middle distance tri. I'm doing it as a relay and wohoo! I got the bike section, 56 miles over kirkstone pass and shap fell, I'm going to die, literally. Not least because I'm going to be racing (I use this term loosely) on a time trial bike, as with the road bike out of action its all I have. Not only that (this gets even funnier) I am going to be doing it with a 11-23 block, as this was the preference over the block I have on my tubs which is an 11-21!
Am I mental? I am seriously wondering if I will actually make it up kirkstone pass with only a 23 to fall back on, this is not going to be a fun day.
Tom

Comments

• moobsmoobs Posts: 14
    Head down, arse up and remember to breathe, through every available oriffice.

Good luck.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Ill be surprised if you do....

be prepared to walk.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    TommiTri wrote:
    ... kirkstone pass ... 11-23 block.. Am I mental?..
    Yes.

Do you have a compact on the front?

Unless you have a backside like a Hereford bull's, you are going to struggle... your heart will be squeezed out of your mouth, your quads will snap.

I'm going to be standing about quarter of the way up with a video camera, so I can capture the moment when you fall over in all your clipped in splendour. I'll also hand you a pair of walking shoes, as you'll need 'em!

Good luck in your crazy adventure!
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    I'm doing the helvellyn tri in September - the bike is 38miles and includes the kirkstone pass and struggle. I have a 11-28 cassette sitting at the ready. Search for helvellyn tri on tritalk.com - there are a few useful hints.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Well I managed it! I changed the cassette for an 11-25, but i couldn't get it into the 25 so I had to grind up kirkstone pass in the 23! Managed the bike leg in 2.50 tho which I'm pretty pleased with as I'm not much of a cyclist.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Oh an if anyone checks the results my names on there as robert lyon as we were a relay team and that was our swimmer.

That said though it was a fantastic race, part of me wishes I done the whole thing. Everything about it was great, the organisation, the course itself. Hard but great.

We were also camping right next to ullswater so I went swimming in there a few times for the few days leading up the race.
    It also only cost about 45 squids to enter, which I think is great value for money if you compare it to lets say vitruvian at £100, wimbleball at £140 (I'm just guessing at these).
    And you get to race in the best scenery in the country, a hell of a lot nicer than doing 2 laps around rutland water, race of the year? pah!