Home Chat General Chat

OW Swimming

Howdi tri troops.

just back from my holidays and wowzer what a rest I had. No training, apart from spashing about in a pool like a spotty teenager showing off.

The holiday was great cause it let me digest my first open water experience I had at my last tri... ie i was terrible.

Few things sprung to mind

1. I can't swim with a wet suit on, or at least not very far.
2. My asthma kicked in... I'll get used to this one though.
3. My zoggs that I bought for OW are crap and leaked like hell or steamed up.
4. I wasn't prepared for the transition to OW from the pool. As people mentioned there is no lovely black line to track.
5. Because I had to stop quite frequently due to a combination of the above, I have a very sore foot due to the stones on the bottom of the river, I think the tendon may be overstretched.

All in all I need to practice with the suit on, whether it be in the pool or the river/sea I def need the practice. I would think some shoulder exercises may be also be the order of the day.

How have others dealt with the probs of OW?? Need some advice.

Comments

• nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    I went to the Blueseventy Centre in Reading they were great, they taught me about being relaxed in the water, sighting and about how different it is.

From being useless to doing my first OD at the weekend. I think it's about confidence and technique, it is well worth getting a coached open water session.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    I have had a few wetsuit issues too, cant decide whether its too tight around the shoulders or if its my technique in OW. it feels like a whole lot more effort in a wetsuit! though i'm perfectly happy in on for surfing. any ideas?
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I have problems transferring form from the pool swim ie in trunks to OW with wetsuit on....

tonight I knocked out a 54:39 for 3.8k in the pool and that felt ok. Not that hard work, at no point was I breathing hard....

However put my suit on and im yet to break 30mins this year for 2k! which would give me an IM swim of about an hour.....GRRRRR

Im actually wondering should I ever get the opportunity to swim without a suit on to actually try it....

Think I need some OW coaching.... more expense.....
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    hussler. wrote:
    I have problems transferring form from the pool swim ie in trunks to OW with wetsuit on....

tonight I knocked out a 54:39 for 3.8k in the pool and that felt ok. Not that hard work, at no point was I breathing hard....

However put my suit on and im yet to break 30mins this year for 2k! which would give me an IM swim of about an hour.....GRRRRR

Im actually wondering should I ever get the opportunity to swim without a suit on to actually try it....

Think I need some OW coaching.... more expense.....
    I don't mean to state the bleeding obvious, but how many wetsuits have you tried? Is it the same whatever suit you wear?
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I have only worn 2 wetsuits...... first one was a foor quantum 2 which was so thick I came out the water without my shoulders haha.

I now wear a blue seventy helix.. its fits so much better and really flexible. Is there much difference between the top of the range wetsuits ?? IE helix vs 2XU V1 vs Orca 3.8 or Orca alpha or even the top sailfish one??
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Where the hell is the quote button. I can't find it...

I think I def need open water training as I think it was more the technique that was letting me down because on the last leg of the OW I was getting into a rythmn and enjoying it but it came to late for me to work out what the difference was.

I read somewhere that it was recommended that you keep your thighs closed, mines weren't closed so I imagine that its little subtetlys like this that make the difference.