Home Chat General Chat

For Goodness Shakes Tri Tomorrow

Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
Gutted, but not able to make it.

This was the first tri I booked this year, and have been working towards it for a few months as part of build up to OD in August, but got a call on Friday morning to say there'd been a death in the family, and so I'm back in Ireland until next week. Disappointed, but there are some things in life that you can't forsee and this is one of them - puts it all in perspective I suppose.

Anyway, just wanted to wish everybody good luck and have a great day. Want to see plenty of race reports up here as soon as you can!

Cheers.

Comments

• hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Its a shame you couldnt have made it CH... very good race!

Well done to everyone who raced:) It was a very hot day and a few people wilted on the run...

To finish off I won my age group (25-29) and was 3rd overall in a time of 1:01:39
    I averaged 6mins 15 per mile on the run so happy with that and the fact I was getting quicker on each leg of the run.... I started with a 5:28 from T2 to the turn, then 4:40 something back to T2, 4:30 something back to turn point and 4:30 something to the finish...
    Not a bad turn out, and even though I was in the final wave the bike leg was packed so cant imagine what it would have been like if we had all set off at same time....

Well done again to everyone who raced:)
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    Sorry to hear your news Ron.

Well done for the win Hussler! amazing time!

I'm back from the race (my first ever tri) and came 12th in my AG (30-39) and 51st overall in 1:12:43. The swim was slow (but recovering from a cracked rib so was never going to be fast, tho managed crawl all the way) but more than happy with the other times.

I did Conehead's Rookie 1 day yesterday and couldn't have managed these times without all the advice! I can't recommend the Rookie days highly enough!!

I'll do a race report (no doubt laced with praise for the Rookie day) when it's not so hot, but I need a beer now

Well done to everyone - hope you took sun cream
    The results are up on tri247 website...... however they are a little confusing as my time on there is exactly 3 mins slower than what was released at the race??? also it shows some peoples T1 time as low as 38s!!! that includes approx 100m run from water edge to exit of bike out aswell as removing wetsuit.....lol something not right there.....
    however my bike and run times are correct as with my garmin 305.
    The guy who won and was presented the trophy finished 5th according to those results and I finished 8th?? even though I now have the 3rd place overall trophy sat on the shelf as we speak...

Never mind.... one possibilty could be relay teams included in the overall results, but that still doesnt account for the times being incorrect in the top 10 placing.....
  • tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    Didn't realise it was hussler i was talking to at tghe end in the car park!
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    My time about the same at 1:12:46 but mysteriously moved upto 11th in AG and 44th overall- no complaints! Thought no splits!! Arse. Though my watch is only 3 secs off the official time so splits on it must be reasonable and I k ow it's the swim that I lost out on, so nevermind. Still a great day and thoroughly enjoyed it
    Tomtris- Haha!! thats ace! Pleased to meet you!

Still not sure on the results... wait and see what the race website says:)

Not that im too fussed, I got what I came for..... AG win and fastest bike split.....
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Well done all

What a cracking day weather was great if a little muggy on the run.

I managed a 1:18.19 -- according to Tri247 99th of 369 overall and 16th of 47 in my AG - beat my target time of 1 hr 20 (was hoping for 1.15 tho) - still pleased but really need to work on my run - 25 mins for 5k - still had problems with chest again off the bike and on the first leg of run.

Didnt spot any forumites racing or watching tho - no buddies T's in site.
    I still need to get Gaz to do my T-shirt.....Ill get it done asap after payday next week:)

No funds available from the WAT officer at the mo
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    My time seems to be exactly 3 mins slower than it showed on the day too, which is annoying as it's now showing as 1:30:46 instead of the 1:27:46 that they gave me on the day, and no run splits either, bloody timing chips.

I think I'll go with the original time they gave me at the event

I learned one extremely important thing. Remember to wear sun cream, I've got lovely red arms and legs. Although I guess if I was faster I wouldn't be out in the sun so long, must work on that too

JB
    Glad im not the only one with timing issues:) strange as we both seem to be out by 3 mins!!
    we must have been so fast over the mats that they didnt pick us up for 45s after each were crossed lol:)

well done!!! sounds like evryone had a good days racing... I got burnt too:( so yet again trisuit tan lines to show off at the pool this week haha
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Good work Hussler, and well done with the sponsorship deal! There is no way you will be able to get cramps on the run now!

You seem to be hitting a sweet spot with the sprint distances - or is that the plan at this stage in the season (before going longer later)?

Of course, well done everyone else too!
  • tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    Yeah my time at the event was 1:17:56, but is now showing on tri247 results as 1:20 something. Whats the deal with that? I'm going with the event one......
  • froggerfrogger Posts: 24
    was a great event.
    The swim was nuts what with all that pond weed
    well done everyone !!!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Great to meet Bluredgirl at start - as all your stuff had gone by my finish I'm guessing you whooped my a***e

Plot for this was 1hr 50mins which I thought I'd messed up with my first numpty mistake - goggle band under swim cap YES goggle band under both caps NO - result strap too high so goggles attempt to gough out both eyes so crawl once more out of window - had done visualise being swum over, loosing nose clip to the point of being horizontal but not goggles!!! On reflection should have just taken caps off reapplied and set off again but as caps were intent on making themselves horrible sticky melty things not an option - poitive note not last out of water Time - 25 mins 40 secs

T1 however pleased with 1min 39 secs

Bike - don't ever let anyone tell you that training only on hills is preperation for riding on flat its not and even I managed a speed wobble by my third lap on the S bend - overtaken by some serious bikes with solid wheels that sounded like an aircraft coming into land Time a PB 46 mins secs

T2 not bad 55 secs

and then the run - now please remember that I train in the Welsh mountains in the rain I do not do smooth tarmac in the open flat at f**k knows what temperature so run not my best not helped by the thought of run out run back run out again please let me throw up now and back again Time 34 mins 25secs
    Have to say the guy with the hose pipe at the end I seriously contemplated snogging
    Total time 1 hr 48mins 45 secs 9th in age group and no I'm not owning up to how many in my age group
    Great day, interesting sun tan learnt lots again so will not be having goggles strap under 2 lots of swim cap again Roll on London
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    @moonshine: Well done! Certainly: Diwrnod i'r Bren
    Diwrnod i'r Bren
    and trees have to do with

da ddiwrnod
    on the other hand I would agree with now I've stoped beating myself up for my run time
  • Im SpartacusIm Spartacus Posts: 204
    What a great event.

My 1st ow swim and I loved it (weed aside). My aim/hope was 1.30. When I finished the screen said 1.22 Brilliant I thought, quickly followed by oh no I must've only done 3 bike laps, but no, all in order, got back, checked online and it had changed to 1.25. Still delighted thou.

My god did the run hurt, especially as I had forgotten it was 2 laps.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Hi Moonshine - fab to meet you too - how cool that we were racked next to each other. And I wouldn't have known it was you it it hadn't been for the t-shirt...

Pond weed was pretty weird in the swim, but what a nice swim. The bike was my first experience of totally flat and on aero bars,and I loved it, and the run was sheer hell. The guy with the hosepipe was my favourite person.

Can't post times as I don't even figure in the results (?) but my stopwatch showed about 1.28 - which is about right as I utterly wilted on the run.

Loved it though - what a fantastic venue - will be going there again.

asthma is horrible now though - the run just killed my lungs.

blurredgirl
    Bike - don't ever let anyone tell you that training only on hills is preperation for riding on flat its not and even I managed a speed wobble by my third lap on the S bend - overtaken by some serious bikes with solid wheels that sounded like an aircraft coming into land Time a PB 46 mins secs
    I apologise if it was me that gave you the speed wobble!! I passed a few people on the bike some at convienient places others which required a little bit of technical shifting of weight distribution on my bike to get around I was the one on the white and red Argon 18 with Disc wheel in RAF Triathlon kit. Think I spotted 3 disc wheeled bikes out there including mine...

Well done again, everyone seems to have done very well indeed:) and a few more timing issues coming out the woodwork now.....all saying 3mins diff.....hmmmmm coincidence? or a generic error with the chips?
    no speed wobble all my own doing

but yes you were the one doing an aircraft impersonation
    noticed a few photographers at Dorney anyone have any ideas of who to ask about photos?
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Go to:

http://sussexsportphotography.blogspot.com/2009/06/for-goodness-shakes-sprint-tri.html

That's the official site that seem to do all of the stuff at dorney.

JB
  • Im SpartacusIm Spartacus Posts: 204
    Thanks for that.

If it was a boxing match, the ref would've stopped it confirms my thoughts on the run.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    hey I was just wondering what you guys menat about the pond weed, was it in your face the whole time, or just getting in? Supposedly the steelman tri this weekend could be compulsory non-wetsuit (I'd much rather have a wetsuit) if the water doesnt cool down. Never thought Id see the day, so that together with loads of pond weed makes me a bit worried.
    I found it was mainly around the start but with little patches here and there on the lake itself... It wont hamper your swim unless you let it...

Dont worry about it if you come across any then it will just slip through your stroke with your hand then leave at arm exit...Have a good race:)