Home Chat General Chat

Hello - did my 1st tri at the weekend

It was only a mini tri - 200m open water swim, 15km bike and 3.3 km run, but I really enjoyed it and I have already signed up for sprint in October.

I am a mtb'r at heart but I am really starting to enjoy the training for triathlon and I have decided that I will do an olympic distance tri next August.

A

Comments

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Hey FlaP,

I did that one, I presume you are talking about the Bedford Mini.

It was my first time in openwater, and like you I bloody loved it, and have signed up for the Autumn Sprint, which I think will be awesome.

How did you get on. I was surpised at my swim, I think I could have got top 10, but didn't know how to handle banging into others, so swallowed a lot of that green sutff. Wish I had faith in my swim, and started near the front.

What position did you come?

It took me ages to get out my wetsuit, as I couldn't open the zip, so waisted I think about 3 minutes.

Anither thing you or somebody else may be able to hlep with.

On the results there was a column that said bta and a number next to the name. What did this mean?

There was one column saying 'oa', which I presume is position for the section being completed. But right next to it was bta. These numbers were not unique to the individual, for example the winner had bta 1, and somebody who came 6th had bta 1.

Hope I made this clear.
  • FLaPFLaP Posts: 13
    Hi Jason B - Yes it was the Bedford mini. Like I say really enjoyed it although I found the swim tough. It was my first ever tri and my first ever open wter swim - so I thought best to start off at the back, then I think I was a bit quick so I swam into a few feet which knocked my goggles off, then I swallowed a load of water and duckweed!!!! All of this put me off my stroke!!!!

Wetsuit came off pretty easy actually - I am used to taking them off from surfing days!!

I came 37th in the mini which I am very happy with, but the main thing is that I really enjoyed the whole expereince and can't wait for the next one.

Not sure how to interpret the results sheet, mainly looked at the spilt times for swim, bike and run.

A
  • Hi guys

The BTA column would have been the membership number for BTA registered entrants - you save £3-£4 per event!

The BTA 1 etc in a results column would have been to do with the BTA age group classification.

DAvid
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi Jason,

BTA will be the British Tri Assoc - could the numbers be the age group the athlete was competing in?

Not sure how the BTA do it.
    Not sure either. My BTA was something like 21, and I am aged 32.

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    hi Flap .. nice one mate .. but be warned its addictive... i only set out to do one race ( a sprint) and havent looked back .... if you still a MTB'er at heart but like the concept of tri maybe you should look at things like x-terra. be right up your street

http://www.xterra.co.uk/

hope this some use

mad !!
    Madnurse - Thanks - yeah looked at the x-terra but the thought of cycling on doubletrack and mainly forest road didn't really appeal. I have done a few mtb races last season and hope to get more serious with them as well, also looking to do a few off-road duathalons as well.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Congrats FLaP. All us new people to Tri must be doing something to help the economy somehow [:D]

My background was mainly MTB as well, I would have been going for the Xterra thing but sadly I had already promised to do a charity event on the same day. I'm going to look for a few other things off road over the winter though.
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Flap ...well done and welcome to the forum...

Jason - the BTA cats for age a usually a letter - I am E (25-29) - I think you would be f...

did you buy a day license?

I imagine that the BTA number is the position in the age group

so the overall winner will be obvoiusly position 1 in his age group and position 6 overall would be the first person home in that age group..

If you had 21 then you were probably 21st in your age group...

Thanks for that loonytune, however the odd thing was there was a gap between 12 and 21. What happened to the other positions? The plot thickens lol.
    ah in that case I am almost certainly wrong
    Jason...just had a quick look at the results

your bta cat was mf - male - f which is 30-34

OA - is overall so your overall position was 46 (i.e. you had the 46 fastest time regardless of age or gender)

no idea why they have an idx column

I am 34 but I was in mg - is this because I am 35 in September? (Geez I am getting old!!!)
    OK I think it is starting to make some sense!! It looks like I was overall 65th out of the water (!) then 33rd overall on the bike then 26th overall from the run. Does this sound correct?
    that looks about spot on to me Flap...was only looking the excel before which isn't as good as the pdf...

if only all results where as good as the pdf...

Jason if you look at the people with mf next to them in the pdf version of the results you will see that you were 14th (top ten next time please [:)]) and the next mf listed was 13 and so on

Ah ok I have got it now, although it does show that I came 6th out of 7 in my age group!!!!!!!
    Thanks loonytoon, I understand it now.

Too be honest I think I should have come in the top 10. If not top three. My normal swim times I was aiming for 3mins 12 seconds, to be precise.

However I was a little nervous so started at the backish. When we went off I was flying past everybody, then hit a bulk of people which for love nor money I could not get past. This slowed me down, I tries to take more of a look and see where I could get round, this mean't my mouth was out the water to long, and then came the green weedie stuff down my throat.

So for next time will definately start nearer front, as my running as crap, becuase of arthritus in my big toes. Which means no bendy big toes. If anybody knows how to sort this I would welcome help.

FLaP - got to say if this was your first triathlon that is a cracking postion for the biking section.

• Hi All,

Thought I would tag onto this thread as well. This was my first event and am afraid i'm now hooked. Finished in 30th place which I was well chuffed with.

Glad you have helped with some of the numbers on the results sheet, although I can't believe I managed the 7th quickest time in my AG for the bike as I was on a MTB and the 4th fastest run.

Swim was a bit poor but I really can't swim and had never worn my wetsuit in the water until I climbed in the river!!

Will be back next year to attempt the olympic!