Home Chat General Chat

sports/recovery drinks

What drinks do you's use to help with training/ recovery.

Just tried the SIS Recovery drink and while it was palatible, it was really sweet. I don't really have a sweet tooth and prefer things... well not so sweet.

I did see that zipvit were doing a free energy and recovery box, postage only to be paid.

I'm trying to look at every part of my training and I think that others will be using some sort of sports drinl/recovery drink and if so what kind.

Is there a drink that covers both?

Comments

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I tend to chug a bottle of For Goodness Shakes after a good session. Failing that I may just have a big glass of milk as I've heard raw cow power is a pretty good recovery aid.

Just trying out some of the SIS REGO I got from Conehead's rookie day a few weeks ago and while it is palatable, it still has a bit of a synthetic tinge to it. I don't find this with the other SIS powders though.

Cider is pretty good too - Weston's Organic in particular.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    There are many to choose from...... Rego, high 5 recovery, FGS , straight forward milk....

Its all down to personal choice..

I use For Goodness shakes, I think they taste good and they seem to be doing the trick for me:)
    and I am now sponsored by them so get them delivered anyway...

The Zipvit stuff is f**king horrible lol (my opinion though!)

I also use Sci MX 100% Elite Series Whey Protein on hard days aswell as the FGS.

I used to use SIS Rego, but after trying other stuff I think its crap. I now know Its wasnt working as well as the stuff i now use does:)

I can give you a discount code for FGS if you want to try some:) Think it gives 25% off but is only a one shot code, however I have loads of codes that all do the same discount haha
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I can give you a discount code for FGS if you want to try some:) Think it gives 25% off but is only a one shot code, however I have loads of codes that all do the same discount haha
    I wouldn't say no to that if its an open offer! I am using SIS recovery at the moment but going on your info i might be better off with FGS.

?
    Ill text you a code mate.... to your mob:) Anyone else wants a code PM me:)
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I've heard about the FGS and had a look at their web-site.

Can you pm me the codes?

Does it really work as I know I've drank the SIS recovery drink and I don't feel as laboured as I normally do ( I may have answered my own question here)? What I'm getting at is, what benefits did you see from long term use?

I'm considering protein shakes as well as part of the diet bu not sure where it slots into the daily regime, any advice?
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    cheers mucker.......sounds like the seasons going well........you deserve it
    Gaz & Shadowone1 - I have Pm'd you both codes... my mob battery has just gone flat and can t be bothered to go fetch my charger haha

Yeh I have noticed a big difference over the Rego stuff in both recovery and taste areas...

I raced the FGS sprint today, finished 3rd Overall and won my Age Group (25-29) and had the fastest bike split and this was after a massive training session yesterday of 4hours including Transitions...

1 hour swim which included a timed 1500m in the middle(23:13)

followed immediately by

Hill reps max effort bike set - 90 mins

Followed immediately by

12.6 mile run steady pace - 90mins

I had an FGS immediately after finishing then a Protein shake with milk before bed....
    I use 2 heaped scoops of whey protein most days, prob every other, in milk before bed or if its during the day then mix with water. 2 scoops gives you 40g of 100% Whey protein. Dont think that you will bulk up if you use it cos you wont. Im quite small build and am not putting an extra weight on through using it.
    Bulking up was never my thing. I've always been skinny even though I'm nearly 14st, because I'm 6ft 3, I always look skinny.

Looking at what you said then my recovery is def an issue. I ran a 10k run and then done 2.5k in the pool doing a pyramids with 30s recovery between sets a week past Thurs there. I then went to the tri on sunday as it was if I had hit the wall. I had absolutely nothing in my legs. I can only assume that I'm not recovering properly or its something else.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    The choccie SIS Rego is nice.

However, I'm giving semi skimmed milk plus a banana a try. It should be cheaper, and no preparation is needed. A guy in the tri club went to a BTA nutrition seminar where they were told that milk is just as good if not better than the commercially produced stuff.

There is something along the same lines in this article in the Telegraph not so long ago.

The only thing I was unsure about was what type of milk to use. I'm tring semi-skimmed, just because that's what we have in the house.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    if i'm feeling flush i'll buy a fgs or a basic budget milkshake from a shop, otherwise i try to drink a glass of milk, maybe with a banana (like jules) or some strawberries.

i'm not quite sure about the rego stuff, not tried it but tend to find the flavours of any of those sorts of things very artificial. not a huge fan of milk either but will bolt it down in the interests of recovery.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I got that zipvit starter box, bloody good value for all the bars, gel, vits and decent water bottle too. For £3.99, you cant go wrong.

I also use all of the SIS stuff, rego works a treat for recovery, PSP22 for energy is great and after switching to the electrolyle one for the end of my last OD race, I got rid fo the dehydration issues I had before.

So I can highly recommend the range.
    Bman wrote:
    I got that zipvit starter box, bloody good value for all the bars, gel, vits and decent water bottle too. For £3.99, you cant go wrong.

I also use all of the SIS stuff, rego works a treat for recovery, PSP22 for energy is great and after switching to the electrolyle one for the end of my last OD race, I got rid fo the dehydration issues I had before.

So I can highly recommend the range.
    I like the Go electrolyte drink, great if it's hot.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I tend to use Cytomax before/during training if i know that it is going to be a long >2hours session or a really hard session like 30 mins hill reps on the bike overgeared (i still don't like hills), which i find works really well. It does have a slightly strange taste at fisrt - but is better than lucozade IMO.

After training again if it has been a hard session then i use FGS too - i think they taste good and i feel a benefit. If there aren't any at home then a glass of milk and some chocolate tends to my choice, oh or a banana... apparently the cytomax can be used after as a recovery drink too, but i prefer the taste of FGS/milk, particularly if i have had the cyto on the bike etc
    Almost everything in that Zipvit freebie tastes disgusting BTW.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Ah Jules, I didnt think it was all bad. Granted the recovery stuff didnt dissolve too well, and the SIS stuff does taste really good. But, yeah I wont be changing any time soon either.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Just in the interests of comparison..

FGS BRAND Alpro soya Mars Tesco flavoured milk
    58 Kcal/100g 76 86 74
    241 kJ 322 336 310
    0.3/0.1 Fat/Sat fat 2.1/0.6 2.0/1.3 1.9/1.2
    3.2 Protein 3.3 3.1 3.5
    10.8 Carbs 10.7 13.7 10.2
    0.1 Salt trace 0.2 Trace
    25.6p Price/100ml 15.2 17.9 11.8
    bugger that did not quite work...
    you had me confused there britspin...
    BRAND FGS Alpro soya Mars Tesco flavoured milk
    Kcal/100g 58 76 86 74
    kJ 241 322 336 310
    Fat/Sat fat 0.3/0.1 2.1/0.6 2.0/1.3 1.9/1.2
    Protein 3.2 3.3 3.1 3.5
    Carbs 10.8 10.7 13.7 10.2
    Salt 0.1 trace 0.2 Trace
    Price/100ml 25.6p 15.2 17.9 11.8

better..
    still not great tho is it...all looks good until I send, then the table disappears....sorry.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I am a huge fan of COW power.
    Half a pint of skimmed milk and 2 bananas all blended together is the fuel of gods.
    I will use the cow power 20 mins after exercise if not sooner.

I love it!
    I can't do too much cow due to errrrr wind issues shall we say, hence the soya milk.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I am think wind on race day my get you an extra couple of seconds!

Shall we leave at milk soya, Cow or gaot! Which ever is you fancy?

Actually not sure if goats milk inst to fatty?
    Blinkybaz wrote:
    I am a huge fan of COW power.
    Half a pint of skimmed milk and 2 bananas all blended together is the fuel of gods.
    I will use the cow power 20 mins after exercise if not sooner.

I love it!
    If I use semi skimmed instead (skimmed is yuk, it might be OK with the bananas I suppose) does that make any odds or would it be too much fat?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i would imagine that semi is better than skimmed, not sure why but skimmed seems like watered down milk so i imagine (for no real reason at all) that semi would be better, more nutrients etc? I'm probably wrong though
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Milk, unless you get it from your own cow, is an industrial product now.

The milk of many beasts is tipped into one big vessel. Then it is homogenised - I.e. it is spun round nice and quick so _all_ the fat comes out - leaving the fat in one bit, then the remainder in another. The fat is then carefully added back in... in the _exact_ quantities for the correct definition of skimmed, semi-skimmed, and full fat. This is because the fat content will vary depending on what the cow has been eating, what mooood she is in etc.

However, the fat would all be a bit lumpy, so it is somehow broken down into microscopic particles, to form a nice emulsion. These superfine particles of fat (much smaller than they normally would be) have been implicated in things such as arthritis - not really enough evidence to be conclusive, but then again, we've only had a couple of decades of eating this, rather than 100,000+ years of proper milk.

Oh, pasteurised (heating to 60 degs.) doesn't get rid of as many of the nutrients as sterilised (boiled).

Enjoy your shakes!
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Pure cow power? Bananas? Making your own recovery drinks?

Come now fellow forumites, aren't we ignoring the central dogma of triathlon - the product that is the most expensive is the one that will aid recovery FASTER! The Superberry FGS even has red on the bottle, so it ticks all the right boxes
    and I don't even want to think about how they milk those poor soya beans....
    Bear in mind most recovery drinks contain lots of products extraced from milk, so you're not escaping the issues of industrial milk production by buying a commercial product.
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    During the off season I used skimmed milk plus banana wizzed up in a blender with a little drop of agave nectar - it is okay but it does still cause a small degree of weight gain.

Last year I found that SIS Rego Rapid caused increase body fat % but Maximuscle was better for increasing lean muscle over a similar period. This year I have been mostly using High5 4:1 Energy Source (berry flarour -mmmm) which has been pretty good.

But as everyone says try and see what works for you!

But - remember anything less than 1hr keep to the Nuun (or similar) and a small 4 carb:1 protein recovery type snack/drink after otherwise the pounds head back on!!

I.