Home Chat General Chat

VO2 testing... worth it?

Whadaya reckon?

With the probability I'll be doing a 70.3 next year, thought I might take a more scientific approach to training and maybe actually read Joe Friel's book properly and buy a HR monitor!

Any thoughts? Waste of money? Is getting tested once enough? Is it only beneficial if you are continually tested?

Cheers guys and gals

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Depends how much money you have to spend!

I would spend the money on swim coaching... although I would love to have an accurate measure.

There is a pretty good formula for working out VO2 max from run race times at http://www.runningforfitness.org. I've found it to be pretty accurate when comparing with other measures (e.g. polar ownfitness, HRM results, cycling formulae) etc.

Ironkav had his done recently... not seen him since the forum "upgrade".

I think getting an HRM, some swim coaching, a copy of Jack Daniel's Running Formula, would give you more bang for your buck - or even some custom made training programmes from your very own coach.

Fascinating to know these things though!
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    If you've got a university near you it could be worth looking to see if they are doing any research in this area. I've seen a couple of adverts in the uni gym looking for athletes to take part in a study doing multiple VO2 tests, best of all they even pay reasonable travel expenses.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Think you're right Jack, fascinating to know but maybe money better spent elsewhere.

Interesting about the Uni thing, maybe I'll make some enquiries
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    If you don't get a feebie at a uni, how much do they cost?
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    The one I've been looking at starts at £135 and includes VO2max/Submax, Lactate threshold & tolerance, maximum heart rate, dynamic lung capacity, anaerobic threshold, calories burned and all the gubbins that comes with it. Full analysis, fancy graphs and exercise prescriptions (is this drugs?).

http://www.vo2fortri.com/

A lot of dosh for what might just be some numbers and pretty patterns on a page.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Flavadave wrote:
    The one I've been looking at starts at £135 and includes VO2max/Submax, Lactate threshold & tolerance, maximum heart rate, dynamic lung capacity, anaerobic threshold, calories burned and all the gubbins that comes with it. Full analysis, fancy graphs and exercise prescriptions (is this drugs?).

http://www.vo2fortri.com/

A lot of dosh for what might just be some numbers and pretty patterns on a page.
    Yeah, £135 is a lot. If you are going to use the data properly I guess it could be a sound investment. Free sounds better
  • timtim Posts: 43
    I had a cycling VO2 test a few months ago, £96 got 30% off by doing it in a group of 3 in the day, i got a vo2 max of 59 which is aparently good, but my lactate threshold was rubbish, this basically suggests that i need to work on intervals etc at threshold to improve my fitness and tri times.

it was suggested that i return at the end of the season for a futher test to see how effective my training was,

soooo, is it useful? i'd say i found it to be an interesting excersise rather than useful, my training zones do not seem to correlate to real life (i can cycle at 150-160bpm for 4-5hrs without too much fatigue, where the test suggested 140-150 was more appropriate) what it did give me was some insight into the science of training, plus the couple doing the testing were very friendly and offered IM advice and tweaks to my bike position whilst doing the test, all that said i dont think i am going to bother returning for an end of season test, cant really justify the price tag for what it is

Tim