Home Chat General Chat

Tri Bars

hi,

pretty new to the sport have done 1 sprint tri and absolutely loved it, and am now entering more, but i was thinking about the upgrades for a road bike, do tri bars help on sprint tri's or are they put to better use for longer distances?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• hi, I'm looking to get the same for my bike .. not sure which ones yet but just a basic clip-on set, my next race is an OD but i imagine tribars would still be useful in a sprint race as you're still talking around 45mins of wind bashing so any advance in body position aerodynamics is sure to help. I'd think the practice of being in that position will also come in handy for the longer races, something i need to start working on asap
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    There was loads of threads for under the old forum but not sure if they are accessible any more.

Basically, a road bike is an ideal choice because you can clip on a set of aero-bars on them and essentially have a TT bike and a road bike in one.

However you need to train with the aero bars as they can be a bit twitchy at first, you soon get used to them quickly. I would recommend a set of clips on to your existing bike and then try that out at first.

When you are doing a triathlon you can then decide if you are going to use the existing drop set or go aero. If its a hilly course, then your more likely to stay on the existing drop set. If its flat then get on the aero-bars as you will be quicker.

You will then start to consider a more TT bike, although not everyone likes the aggresive set up of a TT bike. I had considered buying one, but I don't think I get enough benefit from one and I'm sticking with a road bike with aerobars fitted.
    I would recommend buying them from the LBS and getting the measured up to you. If you set them up incorrectly then you'll get very little benefit from it.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I was going to say have a look at my posts - but they have all disappeared!

I presume you have road bikes and look to use clip ons

First you will be changing your centre of gravity and you will find it very very strange - some have described it as frightening (oh no that was me)
    Secondly your output will be reduced a tad due to the new position

BUT the aero advantage is such that it will outweigh those disadvantages

You should look to getting your new configuration set up - I am away at the moment so unless someone else is kind enough to reply I will put some links up at the end of the week
  • CooksterCookster Posts: 8
    thanks for all of the help, also is anyone able to recommend a set of clip on bars that would work really well?
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    these got best buy in one of the tri mags.

I've got them been using them for a few weeks and really get on with them.

Recommending the bars not the supplier....
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I got a pair of Zipp Carbon Clips ons. They're ok but generally you get what you pay for.

Go to Wiggle.co.uk they have an ok range.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Would help if i put the link in.....

http://www.shinybikes.com/product.php?productid=17363