Home Chat General Chat

Oh dear....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8124458.stm

Might concentrate on the running for a bit

Fortunately i don't ride anything near that!!

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I was a bit worried until I saw "186 miles per week".

If I rode 186 miles per week, the main barrier to me having kids would be that I would be divorced
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    How do these journalists work?

"Hmm.. Cycling is really getting popular - it's great for the obesity problems, great for our collective carbon footprint, and, what with the success of Team-GB, great for the nation's morale in these testing times. So, let's do a piece where we report on one of piece of research that happens to show a vaguely negative outcome for only the teeniest fraction of cyclists, and bury it under some shock, horror, probe! headline".

Sigh.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Wish I'd started cycling years ago based on that story!M
    Might have saved me having the Snip and sitting on my arse for a week with frozen peas on my nads and a month off training!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    186miles a week, for about 8 years by the look of it. last week i managed about 80miles, so plenty of spare there.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I remember reading about similar research quite some years ago - bit like the studies on tomatoes dropping onto concrete being more likely to be damaged than if they dropped on grass - i.e. obvious. The whole purpose of our bits being outside is that they need to be lower than body temp so squashing them and wrapping them up somewhat defeats the intent.
    And yes - yet again anyone doing anything in the slightest way positive - lets do an 'oh dear you don't want to do that, why not just sit at home in front of the telly' article.
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    My family is complete. Myabe I should get the missus to approve extra bike training rather than the more painful alternative that she has suggested from time to time.