Home Chat General Chat

Aero wheels

I've got the opportunity to get hold of a HED disc rear wheel (from 2005) for, relatively, not an awful lot of money (circa £250). Is it worth it?

I saw Mike from Bridgetown bikes on Saturday at Conehead's LD day at wentworth and as I need to get a new frame, I wondered whether it was worth complementing it with a disc. Any thoughts?

On a related note, I noticed ebay have a set of RODI airline deepish section wheels for £150. Has anyone used these before and are they any good?

PS: Conehead, thanks for the opportunity to come and get fitted by Mike. At least I have an excuse for getting a sexy smaller frame now. The OH was surprisingly happy about it when I suggested selling a few things on ebay to pay for it

Comments

• right, don't quote me on this because I might be remembering it wrong.

I am sure that I read somewhere that disk wheels are not hugely beneficial unless you are a faily decent rider and can maintain average speeds over 20=mph on a variety of courses. So if this applies to you then I think they said go for it. It also depends on wind speed/direction over the ride as I think that they are banned in certain ironman races (Lanzarote?) due to severe crosswinds.

If I am wrong, please feel free to call me an idiot etc
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Not an idiot,
    Hawaii bans them to stop riders disappearing across the lava fields.The wheels themselves weigh alot more but once you get them rolling the extra speed comes into play,it is just getting them going.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    CH is right... unless you can average over 25 mph the benefit is minimal... they can make it harder to climb hills too with the added weight and gyroscopic effect etc...

Bin the disc spend on a frame and good groupset.

Regarding the Rodi airlines.... Im sure I read a review somewhere saying they weren't that good.... but I could be thinking of a different set.... Do a google search on rodi airline reviews....
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Thanks for the advice guys, think i'll not bother with the disc and see what mike can do with the extra cash.

Conehead: what happened to you on sunday? Didn't see the bomber at dorney
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Not as furious as Mrs C would have been, had you not returned home !!