Home Chat General Chat

Olympic swim training

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a swimming plan to get ready for 1st oly in 12 weeks????

750 pb of 19mins
750 in race situation a minute slower so i'm pretty concernced about the whole thing!!

I'm following a schedule which reckons that i only need to do 2 swim sessions a week - is that really enough in your opinion??? Doesn't sound like it to me.

Have a target time of 33 mins.

Any help would really be appreciated/

Cheers,

Will.

Comments

• JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    I've got one in a tri magazine at home somewhere. I'll scan it in and email it to you tomorrow if you like. I think that's only got two swim sessions a week, one drill and one open water. I'm going to use it for the Barcelona triathlon in October, so i'll start it in a couple of weeks' time.

JB
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    That would be great JB. Cheers,

Will.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Willtri, this post almost summarises my last week. Did my first Auathlon on Thursday night, a 750m open water swim, and my first proper OW swim with a wetsuit. Took me just under 20 minutes to swim. Not too pleased with it, but ultimately glad to get out of the water alive.

All day Friday I was considering doing my first OD race on the Saturday, but apprehensive about entering, not finishing the swim, being last out of the water, etc etc etc, and posted a few threads on the forum, and got some fantastic feedback and encouragement. So got up early Saturday, got to the venue and entered.

Got to the start line, klaxon went and I was off. Decided to start out slow and steady, as finishing was my main aim. Kept out of the melle, and swam my own race. Drafted off someone for a small amount of time, but ofund my stroke deteriorated and I was running out of breath. First 750m swum in 18 minutes, 2 minutes quicker than less than 48 hours before. Decided to slow stroke rate down even further and take long gliding strokes, with good breathing, and ensure that I made it to the end. 2nd 750m swum in 15 minutes. Over joyed, a total swim time of 33 minutes.

This doean't really help you with an OD swim plan, but just to tell you that if you actually get out there and have a go, you'll be suprised at what you can actually achieve.
    you're doing it back to front!! I keep telling you all
    It's in one ear and out the other!!

So i've got around 1 1/2 hours (maybe a bit more) of actual swimming time per week - reckon i might do one long session per week of 750 + 100m extra per week - takes me up to 1950 by race day. with any spare time doing intervals.

Then on the other 2 sessions per week - one technique and the other intervals.....

Total swim time of around 1h 45mins ish....
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Dunno about a plan, but I generally get in a one hour club technique class per week, plus two half hour sessions at lunchtimes. That's "in the water" time.

Recently a few of the technique classes were binned so I could get some OW practice in instead.

One lunchtime session I will generally practice the drills from class, the other I will do "speed" work - speed by my standards - sets of 8 lengths or pyramid sets or something similar. Once every couple of months or so I will do 500M or 1500M just to see what time I do it in.

I've arrived at this "plan" in a completely unscientific way, just keeping in mind the idea that my technique is rubbish and improving that is the best way to get quicker. I've been sticking to this since January and it does seem to be working slowly. 1500M down from 38 mins to 31 mins. No idea if this is the best use of my time!
    1500M down from 38 mins to 31 mins
    That's a pretty big reduction in my book!