Home Chat General Chat

Ice/Very cold baths post training

Hi all

do any of you sink into a lovely relaxing freezing cold bath after training? I tried it last night after a 12k run (got in and then ran the cold water, it was around 15 deg). It wasn't too bad to get used to it, but whenever i moved in there it was very very cold. I stayed in for 10mins and must admit that this morning my legs don't feel as bad/damaged as they often do after that length of run.

any of you do it regularly? I would say that it was easier to contemplate thanks to the outside temps at the moment and the fact i was melting when i got home. not so sure i'd do it in autumn/winter.

cheers

munster

Comments

• j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    I do after long events and I believe they help. I have heard various different theories behind it which I am not sure I truely buy into but they work for me!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    So on no accounts have a hot bath after training? I only ask as my shower is out of action at the moment...
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I could've been doing with a cold bath last night in an attempt to sleep better. I believe I may have sweated enough to swim in...... nice thought there.

I wondered about this before, there was an article in this months 220 that basically said that research did not show enough conclusive evidence, and that it may just be the placebo effect.
  • I presume the theory behind the cold baths is linked in someway to practice of placing an ice pack on an injury etc? or am i just talking out my a***?
  • munstermunster Posts: 10
    well, i'm going to keep doing it after rides and runs and we'll see if it keeps helping. Placebo or not - my legs definitely feel better today. just add it to the list of things that make my wife think i'm mad. :roll:
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I recently tried it too and found it quite nice actually - although it was quite warm that night. I thin the cold is supposed to work a bit like an ice pace on an injury and prevent/reduce the muscle damage, but i don't know for certain. I know that as my half mara draws closer and my long run starts to top 14miles> then i will certainly be doing anything i can to help reduce damage swelling and pain. I think there was something in a runner world about 3 or 4 months ago about ice baths - will have a look when i get home
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    You are indeed on the right lines mate, ice baths are intended to reduce the inflammation within the muscle due to the damage sustained during the exercise. Also there is a theory that it reduces the superficial circulation increasing circulation within the deep tissues and so muscles, but I'm not sure how much I buy this theory.
    I personally don't go in for the sustained cold bath treatment, I tried it and did not find it affective at reducing DOMS.
    However, what I do do is alternate approx 1-2 min very cold, to 1-2 very hot for 10 mins. I find this fantastic. Although I am not totally sure how deep the cold can extend into the deep tissues during that time I do believe it may help blood flow through muscles. I have found since using this method I have been able to train harder and include 2 quality workouts in a day.
    I also follow this shower with putting on my 2XU compression tights, up until the next training session, therefore I always feel fresh. Following this method I have got stronger and stronger over the past few months, so it seems to work!
  • I am also a fan of prancing round my house in compression tights until the next day. The hot and cold routine, now that takes me back to ankle injuries, when I used to regulally dunk my foot in hot then cold water to reduce swelling so I can fully appreciate the theory and may well give it a shot after my next crazy session
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    That's a good idea with the hot/cold. when i had injuries in my ankle i would do 10 min s on 10 mins off with the ice so i can see how a few mins hot/few cold could do the same. I also wear compression all night and if possible the next day after a really hard session.

speaking of compression there are skins tights for £30 inc delivery on this website:

www.newitts.com
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    I got home tonight after a hour (17 miles) ride home from work in the heat and got into a cold shower it was great. There was a few ooooo and aaaarrrhhs but just great.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    After races I also do the alternating shower thing. but do it the other way around to tommitri, doing longer (2min or so) on coldest and 30sec on hottest and repeating it a few times. I read somewhere that hot should be for the short time, but really cant remember where. Certainly helped reduce pain the next few days.
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    What COLD showers in France !!!!!