Home Chat General Chat

is it worth it?

hey guys n gals....i've been mulling over getting a turbo trainer but am wondering if it's worth it? i know (or hope) that it'll increase my performance on the bike and give me hill training as well but it's more that i'm heading off travelling for 6 or so months from sept so wondering if I should purchase now or wait til i'm back??

i've got the london supersprint and then thinking about doing another one in oz (1k swim, 33k bike, 7k run - all my other races this year have been sprints)...I probably won't take the trainer with me... so thoughts?

secondly if the answer is 'yes', thoughts on which one? (I know there was stuff on her a while back but cant see it since the forum change over)...i've heard the cyclops fluid 2 is good and so is tacs...

any help would be great

Comments

• combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    I would wait until you get back, save the pennies and go for a Tacx I-magic. I have one and the computer interface and training programs make the turbo experience soo much better.

Overall I would not part with my turbo though for those long winter evenings....a good investment regardless which one you get
    I
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Hi Brizzichick, Ive also been mulling over it since last year (when they were so much cheaper), and I think if I were to get one, the fluid 2 would defo be my choice, noise, resistance and price-wise. I think for the price, it will probably be one of the better training investments over winter. No excuses about the weather that way.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Is it worth it?

Well, if you are into systematic training - i.e. have a specific training plan relating to set sessions at particular HR,AT/ LT or Power, then a turbo is essential!

Some things are just too hard to do on the road: (i.e. you have to stop because of traffic/junctions or hit a downhill bit before you've done your 5 minutes at AT). Then, there are the times (rain, snow, hail) when you can't get out on the road. And then there's winter.

You pays your money etc. I have a Tacx Flow - this is the entry level "Ergo" - i.e. it does Power, HR, Cadence and all the stats you need to work out a proper programme. It can be upgraded to the VR thingamajig if you so deserver. Cost be £250 from totalcycling.com a few months ago (post the pound crashing).
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I've just ponced one of the mother in law. Result. A basic one but that'll do.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    [quote]Then, there are the times (rain, snow, hail) when you can't get out on the road. And then there's winter. /quote]

Jack Hughes the voice of reason. Never a truer word spoken. Its about 30degs at the moment and its pissing with rain here..... how is that?

The turbo trainer was my saviour during the winter, kept me going when the nights were cold, damp, crap, even colder, even crapper. I got the best use out of it when I got an turbo training plan and used the intervals training from it. I certainly noticed a difference when I was back out of the bike.
    I've got the Tacx Sattori and its certainly decent enough, it does what it says on the tin and no more. At the end of the day provided you can adjust the resistance then its fine. You can still count your cadence, ok its not scientific but it still doing the job.

Have a good look around on the internet, I did get mine from the LBS and they gave me it at similar costs to the interweb. I would def recommend getting one.