Home Chat General Chat

Bike Route Ideas

I originally posted this in the training forum but not sure where would be best so...

Hi everyone,

I've finally signed up for triathlon's in a few months with a view to more serious participation next season but I'm having trouble finding routes that I could train on the bike.

I live in Bromley (north-west Kent/south-east London) and looking for routes around this area (more than prepared to drive out). Basically I'm looking for routes that are either off roads or routes that don't have too much traffic so I can just concentrate on the cycling.

If anyone has any ideas it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Trevor

Comments

• hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I use mapmyride.com to pre plan my bike routes... on there you can find out how much climbing, gradient of those climbs, distance etc etc

• +1 for mapmyride.com.

I do 100% of my riding on roads and use mapmy ride to plan routes or review them after. it cleverly follows roads so you don't have to trace round every corner which means it is quick and easy to plan routes that keep you on safe roads. As hussler says it also tells you the distance and the elevation profile which is good for tailoring each ride.

There is a search function but its not that great for my area, although on a recent trip to Scotland I was searching for training rides and found that I was staying in the village that marks the start and finish of the Southern Upland Sportive which is a lovely route and great for practicing some hill climbing!
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Some buddies and I are going to go for a ride this Sunday leaving from SE London, if you want to meet up somewhere, our plans usually just involve the cycle map routes and going about 4-5 hours. Most of the time once you're out of the city, its easy to find good rides all over the south east. It's never a killer, usually about 80 miles and only a handful of decent climbs. With some others, its a lot easier to focus on the ride and less on the traffic. Send me a PM is you're interested.