Home Chat General Chat

Wheel problem. Or is it the tyres...?

nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
Hi folks

Need a hand with a problem I'm having. I might be missing something obvious, so hoping somebody can help me out here!
I have a set of Spinergy Rev X with Vittoria Tubs on, but I can't get air into them. Rode a 10 mile TT on squishy tyres tonight!
The rims are 50mm deep including the braking surface and the tyres are Vittoria tubs. There's a metal valve attached to the rim and there's a valve that screws into this but it can be pushed in and isn't releasing any air. It can also be unscrewed and removed entirely and still no air leaks. Attaching a pump to the valve is just blowing air into the rim but not the tyre.

Any bright ideas? Can't race on 80psi!! Well, I can, but I'm not going to be speedy!

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    ''remove the unlikely and only the obvious will remain''.
    Could be a problem with the valve extension unit,I am not an expert,and I still have difficulty with mine.
  • sorry if this is a bit obvious, but have you checked that the presta valve is unscrewed? i've got some valve extenders which unscrew and tighten up the presta valve, but i have to make sure the presta valve is undone before i attach the extender.

also, how do you like your wheels? i was considering getting a pair myself!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Yeah, it's not the extenders, as I still can't get air in with the extenders removed entirely!
    Re the presta valve, that could well be the problem, but how can I unscrew it when it's hidden away 4cm inside the rim? The extender definitely doesn't help in this respect.

On how I like the wheels, well quite a lot actually. They're no lighter than the stock wheels I replaced them with (about 1.5kg I think), but not no much that they take effort to get up to speed and since all the weight is around the rim, they maintain the momentum nicely. Despite some very detrimental reviews, I like them, and they also look nice
  • what extenders have you got? my extenders will actually let me unscrew and tighten the presta valve, might be worth a try? otherwise you'll need to remove the tub!

glad you like the wheels, the reviews did put me off, but if you like em, i might give them a try!
    Obviously I am doing a rubbish job of describing the problem; away on a course at the moment with only my training bike for company so I will take a couple of photos to illustrate when I get home and hopefully somebody can put me out of my misery!
    I seem to have fixed my problem, but not sure how! I removed the extenders to get a better look at the valve inside, make sure it was open, etc (!) and put them back in then hit them with a CO2 cylinder, and Robert's my mother's brother. Strange. And more than a little annoying.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Could have been some dirt inside the valve that got lodged,if the problem happens again that could be the answer.