Home Chat General Chat

Those funky calf compression socks!!

Right, I have been looking at those calf compression socks and been wondering whether they will work for me. I have problems with my calves and so I was wondering whether anyone has used them and what they thought, or if anyone just knows any advice that they can thrown my way!!

Comments

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    My calves are the only muscles that seem to ache after anything I do, so I too would be interested to know if they work.

I had a quick look at the Skins version, how tight do they need to be, so if in doubt, or if you are on the cusp of two sizes, is it worth going a size smaller
  • I presume then that if they are endorsed by the Conehead himself that they are fairly practical?
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I've got two pairs... x-socks energiser and 1000 mile socks.

1000 mile socks are definitely tighter and give more compression. Tend to run in the x-socks more though (black rather than white which I feel less of a twat in). 1000mile socks on after running.

I've definitely found them helpful and would suggest they're worth a go if you have calf problems. Worn mine to bed last night after an 8k run and no problems today. They were bl00dy warm though!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    The only compression socks I wear are flight socks that I wear on the drive to and from events, must say they do ease the old legs. Haven't thought about training in them but from above may have a try.
  • right, having a look around the market there are either socks or calf guards. I am probably moving towards the guard side of things (i.e. 2XU Compression Guards), but my questions is this; Do people wear them underneath their wetsuits or put them on in T1 or T2? I know this is fairly dependent on the race distance, but as my next race is the IMUK the transistion speed is not as important to overall speed as it would be for a sprint? I am also aware that they are mainly for running, but my problems start with the swim (see my previous topic - cramp in swim).
  • dont worry, i am very much a follower of the "don't try anything new on race day" philosophy (other than running a marathon that is!!), I'll buy a pair and get cracking on training.
  • I only joined this forum 2 weeks ago, I didn't even know that things like that existed (I know, I am very naive!!), plus my first tri was in May so wasn't sure what would kill my muscles until now.

What other free stuff you give away? I'm looking for a free top of the range bike and a discreet outboard motor if you need any suggestions.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    I've used Skins calf guards and 2XU calf guards for racing and NIke compression socks for training.

Do they work ? I dont know, but after having calf problems in the past its more of a reassurance thing for me, Ive not had any problems since wearing them and they dont seem to do any harm, they also give me a physcological boost in races so that is a good positive plus for me.

The Nike compression socks feel real tight and supportive but they take about 5 mins to put on so I would not reccommend these for racing, but I love these for training.

The skins have a stirrup which goes under the foot, I was not happy racing with the stirrup underfoot in case it caused any blisters on the run so Ive just left the stirrup around the back of my ankle.

The 2XU calf gaurds are my favourite for racing, they slip on easily enough in T2 and feel tight and supportive.

I have only worn my calf guards on the run but would have no problem with putting them on under my wetsuit, but this is something you would need to try in training not race day.