Home Chat General Chat

Contact lenses

I wear glasses and am slowly coming round to the idea of contacts - believe me when I say it's alot easier to see where your going when you er.....can see.

I am after a pair of nice sunnies but obviously I have the sight correction issue.

Anyone here that uses contacts ? I need convincing that they don't irritate the eyes when training and racing.

Can't afford laser treatment so it's prescription sunglasses ( they are better but no Oakley look) or contacts.

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    i have some dailies but only tend to use them for races or playing sport (football, badminton). i don't wear them everyday because i don't find the sight quality is sharp enough for work, and i can't wear them for more than 5-6hours or so without discomfort.

i don't wear them for training because i'd get through more pairs than i could afford (2 per day with my commute, for starters), but for racing it feels appropriate. not had any problems with pool water yet.

they are very individual so you may get on with them better than me, most people i know who wear them do!
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I've worn contact lenses for about the last 12 years, and wear them almost all the time. Only change to glasses when I'm tired, been on a dusty building site, or simply can't be arsed to put the lenses in.

Never had any real trouble with them during traning or racing. I know they don't recommend you wear them whilst swimming, but I always wear gogles, and never sufferened any ill effects. I've also regularly surfed in them without any goggles, and I've never lsot one (that's probably the kiss of death on that then, roll on my next session). However, I cycles one day without glasses on, and due to excessive eye watering, I'd like to think it was because of my excessive speed, but it was more likely due to the wind, I did have one slip out, but simply stopped and put it back in. From then on I've always worn glasses to protect my eyes/lenses and never had a repeat problem.

I also have a pair of prescription goggles for days I can't be arsed to put the lenses in, which are great, until you take them off when you get out of the water, and have to feel your way back to the changing rooms.
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Yep, I do. I've worn daily disposable lenses for years now and pretty much don't even notice them when running or cycling. My big worry was that they'd irritate in the pool. However, I got a pair of Zoggs goggles and don't have any trouble with keeping the lenses in when swimming.

The only thing is if you get a bit of grit or a bug in your eye you can't really rub it the same way you would without a lens in. You have to sort of blink it out or tease it out gently. This rarely happens though as your sunnies protect you.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i wear lenses too, used to wear daily disposables for about 10 years or so, but switched about 3 years ago to 30 day continuous wear. I put them in on the first of the month and then take them out 30 days later (in theory - in practice i take them out at least once a week overnight to clean them). They are great and i have no worries in recommending them. But if you are new to lenses i would say go for dailies, as they are thinner and less likely to irritate your eyes as it is quite a strange sensation putting in lenses for the first time.

I have no trouble at all, unless you get very dehydrated/in very dry dusty enviornment they should stay ok through whateveryou can throw at them, except strong air con - that can dry the eyes a little
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Thanks everyone.... Just that when I start to swim OW - I'll have some serious sighting issues if I can't see where I am going.

Get's a pain when my Ted Baker prescription sunnies ( bloody expensive at £340) are metal, heavy, not wrap arounds, etc etc just not ideal for sports. At then you have to carry a normal pair for when your indoors . Just a hassle.

Daily lenses it is then. Cheers
  • Haven't used contacts for a few years but intend to start using them again to use with regular sunnies like you.

Give your local opticians a call, they should let you test them for a few days and unlikley to cost you anything to trial.

I think it goes without saying that the ageold issues with contacts are the same and the problem is keeping them sufficiently hydrated so they don't irritate your eyes. I certainly used to blink more with them in and things like air con (if you have it!) or riding bike without glasses wasn't good for me.

Only marginally shortsighted but clearer/sharper vision for driving, playing football and mountain biking mainly.

As Ris says, they are indivudual so trial first if you can.