Home Chat General Chat

What's Chrissie Wellington go to do...

MowfMowf Posts: 272
To win sportsperson of the year?

I was just thinking about Wimbledon this year and, if he does manage to pull off the win, Andy Murray is a sure thing to take this award. And fair play, he'd deserve it. But what about our very own Chrissie Wellington? She is argubably the most dominant athlete in the world at the moment. I mean she is unbeaten in Ironman events and is a two time world champion. Her competitors are considered to have done pretty well if they get within 15 minutes of her... And all of this in the toughest individual sport you can do (unless you count the silly events like the arch to ark).

I'd be interested to hear some other thoughts on this. It all boils down to exposure at the end of the day, but it's still a travesty in my eyes.

Comments

• willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Think you've got a fair point....

plus anything to keep Murray away from it the better - can't stand him
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Plus - it's only special if he wins because, as a nation, we are shit at tennis and it's a novelty to have someone who actually has a chance of winning!
  • I watched the tv highlights of Ironman Australia at the beginning of the week, she won by 25 mins, coming 11th overall, she looked like she was out for an afternoon stroll, it was quite simply awesome
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Come on Andy Murray is brilliant. He is one of the best tennis players in the world at the moment. I'd love it if him and fed were in the final and murray won. More so as he'll need to beat fed to win so that no-one can snipe at him for not beating any of the top two on his way.
    Sure he has a mundane voice, but he's already admitted his voice is boring. We're always the same happy to gun them down when they're winning and then moan when we don't win.

As for Chrissie. Well it would be nice to see her nominated at least. Given that triathlon is fast rising I should see no reason as to why not. I wouldn't think she'd win in as most of the joe soaps in the UK wouldn't have a scooby who she is and thats where the prob lies. As a nation we champion football, rugby, tennis, golf, snooker etc but the papers seem to ignore a highly popular and exciting sport such as Tri.

I think she'd deserve to win but wouldn't think she'd win it as we're too focused on the mainstream.
  • Plus noone cares about triathlon except triathletes....

Even football fan can watch tennis but try getting one to watch a triathlon...even if you made triathlon highlights theyd still last like 90 minutes....
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Murray doesnt deserve it. And I am a tennis fan. All I'm saying is that as much as he would deserve it, Chrissie would deserve it more.

I for one couldnt give a toss about him being boring. If he wins, he wins. End of. But again, Chrissie is properly dominant andreally nice (she smiles during the marathon for f***s sake!).

Fair point re TV coverage/watchability. But present a football fan with the facts about what an ironman is and i bet you they are all pretty damn impressed.
  • Is chrissie Wellington hot?

she doesnt sound hot....
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I feel a campaign coming on here.

Shall we email the BBC and other sports awards and mention this amazing lady to them. As said above Chrissie will get over looked as a lack of publicity will not make her main stream news. The question would have to be asked though. Do the public understand our sport?
  • I like doing this sport, i hate watching it....
    Zara phillips won it one year. I can't see too many football fans watching 3 day eventing!

In terms of brining it to the BBC's attention; she was mentioned in passing last year along with Helen Tucker. I just think it would be interesting for her to get a proper nomination and then she'll get the little video thing that shows just how bloody awesome she is and some soundbites from people like James Cracknell saying how amazing she is etc. It might be enough to give her a shot of 2nd or 3rd (depending on how we get on in the ashes this summer). Murray is a dead cert, even if he only manages to make the final and lose to Federer.

Rachel Atherton - is she related to that dude called 'Gee' or whatever it is? I saw the redbull rampage and they are properly insanse. It was awesome.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Mowf,

I agree that they would be impressed, well some of them anyway but the simple facts are that we have a mainstream sports in the UK and at the mom Tri isn't one of them.

I am not taking anything away from her, I think she's fantastic and fully deserves it but can you imagine the BBC saying" Sports Personality of the Year..... Chrissie Wellington"

Most folks at home would be "who the fcuk is that"....

Its just the way it is. I agree we should campaign to the BBC to acknowledge her efforts, she bloody deserves it.
  • cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    Much as you have to admire her achievement its just not on the same scale as winning Wimbledon as far as Sports journalism is concerned. You don't even get much triathlon on the TV and i think personally its more of a participant sport than a spectator one. I'm laughing at the thought of a campaign to get Triathlon recognised, maybe the lycra would be appreciated.
    Ah well. At least Jenson Button is in with a shout of winning it this year. And he's a triathlete. Small steps and all that.
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I'd love to see Chrissie Wellington recognised not just becuase of the phenomenal athlete that she is, which in itself is amazing, but also for her hugely positive influence on her sport. When I started out in this lark and read about some of her achievements and then saw what type of person she was to go along with it I was certianly inspired.

Her smile alone should win an award
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    triathlon isnt a spectator sport...so chrissie has no chance...i am into triathlon now but i had no idea who she was. its a shame...but no chance can she win
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Tennis is played by rich powerful people and of course Wimbledon is going to be a major event because of that.

Football has megabuck financing and is a megabuck generator ditto.

Formula 1 etc

As a nation we are also successful in many other sports but because big money is not unvolved they attract almost nil interest amongst the media and great British public; the participants in our and those other sports tend to be satisfied with achievement as its own reward which in these 'me me me' days is not what grabs the headlines.

A powerful lobby to the BBC may be helpful - does anyone know how to go about it? If so provide the link etc and if we all have a go it may at least raise the profile of the sport but certainly Chrissie's achievements are absloutely bang on.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Murray the British victor and the Scottish loser.
    If Ms Wellington gets on to the SPOTY,that tosser Chiles will only ask a stupid question similar to the one he asked Cooke about her legs.
    Cycling weekly ran a huge campain for the SPOTY,even to the point of asking the voters to not split the vote between the cyclists who were nominated in the top 10,and just vote for HOY,in case they got the vote diluted too much and lost out to a cycling hazard,sorry car driver or similar.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    is it possible to start a compagn for SPOTY for Chrissy to be nominated? Just like everyone has been saying she deserves the recognition for being by far the best in the world. We British would hype to the end of the world a player /sportsman (and i use that loosely) in any other sport who is even halfway decent (and yes I am looking at Andy Murray here) so why the best in the world isn't even getting a single line is a disgrace.

slightly off the point here but I personally hope muuary looses, and the more nailbiting and heart breaking the better. Partly because of his anti english bias in from his comments at the last word cup.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    There is a very cycnical schoolof thought that believes that basically SPOTY is somewhat allegedly and despite the open public vote amazingly biased towards the sports that the BBC happen to cover.

Q: Do the BBC cover triathlon?

Q: Do the BBC cover Wimbledon?

Some might say that the answer to those two questions will provide your answer.

Anyhow... when Cav wins the green jersey this year where he fit in the mix/ Oh - hold on...

Q: Do the BBC cover the TdF?

didds
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Muzza will win SPOTY if he wins Wimbledon, nailed on.

Many people who in another year would have a very good chance to win SPOTY will miss out, just because of the novelty of a Wimbledon winner. Jenson Button will miss out even if he's F1 champion for example.

Chrissie Wellington got about four seconds on last year's show. Perhaps if she makes it three in a row at Kona she will get a bit more publicity generally and a bigger feature on the show, but she won't win SPOTY. After all it's just a popularity contest really.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I know its me & I would love Chrissie to get more recognition, but I despise all & any of these popularity contests, be it SPOTY, Oscars, BRITS etcetc. There is always an agenda & as suggested there is mostly a financial element in there somewhere, the best selling is not always the best.
    The wimbledon thing makes me laugh as the UK really only gives a s**t about Murray, Tim or whoever for 2 weeks of the year at best a passing interest for the other 48 odd weeks of the tennis 'season', yet soccer gets blanket coverage for 55 weeks of the year & remind me how long is it since as a nation we last won anything?
    So we can try for a wellington vote, but we will fail, I suspect Chrissie is better known in the US where triathlon is Ironman, but even then she will be back in the queue behind the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB etc.
    Did anyone see 5th Gear with the trials guy on with Ross Noble? Multi world champion awesome skills..I love motorcycle sport, watched it & cannot recall his name.
    We are a minority, I have always been into minority sports & moaned about lack of recognition....but secretly thats kinda what I like...
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    The BBC are broadcasting live from the world champs race at Hyde Park so maybe Alistair Brownlee might have a better chance of a mention?
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    The title of the show is "Sportss Personality of the Year", but how many winners have won because of their "Personality", they seem to win because of overall acievement, or total exposure. Don't bother with it myself.
  • cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    I'm sure Murray gets fed up being asked whether he supports England when he isn't English, last year he was not press savvy. This year his PR is much much better. The 'Britfest' that people turn Wibledon into gives me the boak.
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Britspin - Surley you cant forget a name like Dougie Lampkin !!
  • trudgertrudger Posts: 61
    It would be great to see Chrissie nominated at least.

But a few years ago, Carl Fogherty was in the audience and told live on TV;
    'You have won world superbikes 7 times, your appearance at silverstone saw the largest crowd at any single event that year - global'. But your not even nominated. Maybe you win number 8 you might be i with a chance'

If he can't even get on the list, Chrissie won't stand a chance.
    SPOTY is always biased to UK mainstream sport...fact.
  • [img:365ovkm0]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2008/11/22/body460x276.jpg[/img:365ovkm0]

since noone answered my question i did some research....

I think chrissie wont win because she doesnt look sexy...even andy murray has been touted as sexy. We need a Chrissie Wellington Photo Calander....
  • Saw her speak at the Tri Show in Surrey earlier this year. Cool chick and an inspiration. I queued like a star-struck teen for a signed picture as well...
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Sadly yes I forgot Dougie Lampkin...which could just be a reflection of how crap I am with names...but he was amazing & desreves waaaaaay more publicity not least from a nation that bemoans that it never wins anything..translated as we never win at football, well not since 19............
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    I was listening to radio 5 live this morning and they were banging on about the Tennis and I heard them say that there is no other athlete who has worked so hard to achieve blah blah...well I very nearly sent them a text message but didn't have time to construct it but honestly.... also someone at work said, when I mentioned how amazing CW has done... "well, I expect the World Triathlon is probably like the the US world baseball series"...needless to say I put him right!!

I think it has a huge amount to do with PR....I strongly believe that she should be up there with the best!!