Home Chat General Chat

Overheating - Dehydration?

I'm new to Triathlon (yet to take part in one) and must congratulate forum members for contributing to an informative and friendly resource which is helping people new to the sport.

At the minute, I'm just doing general training sessions as and when I can with a view to a more structured training programme when my swimming has improved (which is coming along faster than I thought). Hopefully in preparation for taking part in races next season.

The problem is I sweat like there's no tomorrow ! Thankfully only when I exercise.
I've reduced the intensity of training sessions recently after buying a HRM which has helped but occasionally (and most notably during Great North Run a couple of years ago) I overheat, get a very red face and feel like I've nothing left to the point of collapse.

This happens when running only. Does this sound like classic dehydration?

Comments

• sounds fairly normal to me, I sweat like a ... (add in favourite analogy)

Easiest way to find out how much fluid you should be having during you running is to weigh yourself before and after you runs. See how much weight you have lost, add on the amount of liquid you have consumed and it will give you the amount you should drink in that time period (weather and intensity dependent obviously)

Now watch the people telling me i am wrong!!
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    This is a problem I suffered from badly last year, luckly it reduced and hasn't come back with vengence this summer. I can't run on a treadmill in the gym as I overheat badly in about 20 mins, so I do all my runs outside which I find keeps me cool enough during the summer.

I drink about 3-4 litres of water a day and make sure I drink 1-2 litres in the morning/early afternoon if i'm going for an evening run - I can't run in the morning as I find i'm quite dehydrated first thing. I find I'm fine running for at least an hour even in 30 degree heat, although I often lose 1-2kg out on the run. I tend to weigh myself before and after to make sure I get the fluids rebalanced properly. The most important thing is to listen to your body when it tells you your thirsty, invest in a camelbak or something similar to take fluids out on the run with you and use Nuun or SiS Go electrolyte if you find you need a lot of water to keep the salts balanced. This is just my experience, may not be correct but has worked and not done me harm.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Loving the nuun. Got switched on to it after a few posts on here. Highly recommend it!
  • Thanks guys.

I already have a Camelbak for mountain biking so will try using it for runs as well. Training is all gym based at the minute except for a couple of off-road rides a week and obviously swimming, so instead of using the treadmill will find an outdoor route near the gym (which is surrounded by parklands and playing fields anyway so should have done it before now!).

Have tried hydrating during runs but find it difficult and normally develop a stitch. I guess getting the intake right without causing discomfort is just something I have to get used to.

I've started using Nuun already Conehead (and Flavadave), after you spreading its virtues in your "Nuun..... It saved my life" (or similarly titled) thread. I figured I sweat so much it can't be anything but beneficial for me.

My salt intake generally is very low as I cook everything from scratch due to onion/garlic family intolerances and don't add salt to my food during cooking or whilst eating on the basis I've been brainwashed that it is bad for you. Have already felt the benefits of Nuun during exercise and afterwards which I put down to its sodium content and my lack of general intake.

Will weigh in and out before typical training session tonight and gauge how much fluid I lose. I know I don't drink the recommended 2 litres a day (more likley to be just less) so hopefully can get things balanced.

Much appreciated
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hydration in this weather is more important that even triathlon its self.

You should be drinking at least a litre more than normal if you are intending to train at the mo!

As everyone know's water is essential for hydration but you also need to keep your electrolytes and salts/sugars up or water will just wash out anything left.
    As both Jibby and conehead and not forgetting the mighy Flavadave have said a drink or powder like Nuun or dyralyte mixed in your bottle is a great option. Even something as commercial as lucozade sport or alike mixed with water is worth it to keep dehydration away. If using a bottled sports drink I mix it about 1/4 drink to 3/4 water. Be warned that to much powdered hyradtion stuff can make your drink a bit salty.

I was told by a Doctor once that when you feel properly dehydrated it is often to late ! He was not hinting at death but serious lack of performance which you wont get back quickly. Dehydrating your body really stresses your organs and brain so aviod it as much as possible.

4-5 litres a day if training plus any add ins should do it!
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    also sweat for england when hard training especially on any type of run with sprints....however put ths down to being a big fella not one of those skinny runner types! I make sure i neck loads of water before and after with nuun to help out...
    I did hear it is when you stop sweating you have to worry...then you are seriously dehydrated and probably about to fall over...
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    I am also a very heavy emitter of sweat,one look at my bike and it starts,the above thread is correct in that when your body stops sweating it has gone into self preservation mode and stopped keeping the bodies largest organ(stop tittering) from keeping cool and reasoned that it would do better looking after the vital internal organs.Suddenly feeling very cold is another sign of the body taking action.220 has a nice list of classic DN'Fs and at number 1 is........
    Best to be Pro active rather than Re active.
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    I read somewhere that taking a healthy interest in the colour of wee (preferably your own) was a good indicator of hydration state. Keep it 'straw' coloured apparantly does the trick.

Ade