Home Chat General Chat

Bike Comfort

okennyokenny Posts: 231
I'm an OD guy who has done far too much of his bike training in spinning classes. I'm trying however now to get some more outside km in the legs.

But I'm having some issues with comfort on my road bike. I bought a new profile design saddle, which now makes sitting (aero or not) much nicer, problem solved!
But, I find my hands (thumbs) are getting sore when I ride a few times a week (not crazy distances). Especially when riding in the hoods. It's not fun, especially when you have to ride short distances on cobbled roads.
Any tips on getting around this? I often can't ride in the aero position as it's just too darn dangerous with traffic....
I don't wear gloves when riding, might this help?

Thanks!

Comments

• willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    i wear gloves and get numb fingers after about 15 miles....When on the hoods.

Think i just need to move around a bit more....
  • cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    You need to wear cycling gloves with gel pading in the palms. It makes a huge difference.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    you may find gloves help reduce the pressure on your thumbs, but i wonder if your cycling position is putting too much weight through the hands.

you should be looking for a light grip and quite a light rest of the hands on the hoods. your body/core should be holding your weight up so that you could almost take your hands off the hoods and still be there.

the other thing could be that while spinning classes are good and all they don't have a hugely varied road surface! all those bumps and lumps might be part of the problem - gloves can help but keeping a light touch on the hoods and relaxed elbows can reduce the buzz from the road.