Home Chat General Chat

Conehead 10, 25 and 50mile TT's

I'm not yet at a good enough level to consider TT's, let alone my bike (claudia) isn't good enough.

I would like to be able to say yes, but its beyond my level.

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Conehead -

Can you do a TT on a roads bike ?( like I've got or getting) If not then I'll just have to find the money to Buy a TT bike

How "good" do you have to be to enter ?
  • I asked this forum about getting into TTing... it was before the switch so I can't find it now but the advice was go ahead and give it a go... everyone is really friendly, you don't need a tri bike and you won't embarrass yourself. I took the advice and it was spot on. There are several clubs in my local area (Oxfordshire) and everyone was really friendly. I'm now a paid up member and looking forward to more races.

As conehead says the CTT is a bit impenetrable but my local club's website was really helpful.
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oxoniancc
  • I'd be game on for this as well. Any ideas yet where you'd do them? I know there's a regular 10 miler currently at Chelford and it's a good, straight traffic light free out and back.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Are you looking to franchise these for non northerners?
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Are you looking to franchise these for non northerners?
    Exactly...

Can you move to London....
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Can you move to London....
    Yeah c'mon Conehead it's lovely down here! Ahem.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Great idea,insurance could be done via starting a club,(as Mrs CH reaches for her own club),but logistically I wouldn't know.The main issue around my area is getting the Police to ok it,Humberside are really good,but Lincolnshire take abit of arm twisting,Marshalls for all junctions,risk assesments etc.It would even be wortha trip across the Penines as long as you don't impose the following two RTTC rules,
    shirts must have sleeves,( I rolled up for one TT to be told,''You triathletes are all the same,if you get placed,no prize for being incorrectly dressed,remember sleeved shirt next time'')
    And only Sponsered cyclists may wear logoed clothing with their sponsers name on it(''Are you sponsered by SIS'' the official said to me.''No'' I replied,wearing my nice new speedsuit with SLEEVES.''OK,no prize if placed,or accept a DQ'' ) and the RTTC want people to take up cycling.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Im up for that mate... when im not racing etc or when my season is over it would be good to keep the efforts on the bike going for a while:) J2/9 is an ok course too...
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Just picking up on a point made earlier... so you can;t just rock up at a dual carriageway junction with a few chums and take it in turns to pedal like F-F-F-F-Fury 5 miles out, and 5 miles back?

didds
  • I don't see why not... even if it isn't technically legal it would still be perfectly within the spirit of the sport since time trialling evolved because organised road racing was illegal.

The idea was that if everyone set off a minute apart and raced against the clock (instead of against each other) then if the coppers turned up people could reasonably claim just to be going about their own business. That is why all the courses are coded... to keep their locations secret to all but those in the know!
    that was my understanding too ewan. The talk of police being informed and insuranbces etc made me wonder if thiungs had moved on so even this "ad hoc" arrangement was now all but impossible.

as you suggest though, if I do it on my own presumably i wouldn't need anything over and above what I would have when i cycled normally on a road. And if you followed me a minute later why would anything change? Etc etc etc?

didds
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Possibly I might be interested. There are 10 mile TTs on various Thursdays in Chester, but I can't make any of them
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I'd be up for the 10s and 25s Conehead. Only problem is I work Saturdays..any chance of any other days?
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    *puts hand up*

What on earth is J2/9?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    lovely idea CH!

I'm up for it in principle.

But for the moment, I will offer my services as a Marshall or Timekeeper or water station if needed.

The weekend is best for me - I have a turn up and ride nearby (pendle cc's) every Thursday, and the LBT every month on a Tuesday. But I am always away midweek!

The cycling time trials web site has info for event secs.
    Conehead wrote:
    Imagine of you HAD to be a member of your local tri club to do a triathlon in the UK....?? And they wonder why TTing in the UK is on the decline whilst participation cycling is on the increase after Beijing.
    I think it is more about the marketing of the sport. The reason for membership go back into the dim and distant past when the sport was illegal, then for insurance/liability reasons.

I'm sure most people have turn up and ride events in reach.

TT is _hard_ to get into, and find out about. It's never been glamorous, or news/media worthy.
    Conehead wrote:
    I need to form my own club
    Rookie Wheelers?
    Conehead RC?

Maybe you could find an existing club and work within that?

I love the idea of a set of events that are friendly and inviting to all!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    It all boils down to the word 'RACE'.It is illegal to have an unofficial race on public carriageways in this country without the correct authority.A Sunday social cycle is just that,if it turns into a lets see who we can drop off the back cycle jaunt then so be it,it is not a designated race.TT history had cyclists dressed in black doing covert races on the roads when all cycle racing was banned back in the 'Bad old days'.All the relevant authorities want is a designated party to throw the book at when someone gets a splinter in their finger,or similar.
    If anyone is interested in having a go at TT,your LBS would be the best point of contact,there does seem to be regular have ago TT's in my area but they are not well advertised.
    It all boils down to the word 'RACE'.It is illegal to have an unofficial race on public carriageways in this country without the correct authority
    Which is why its called a "Time TRIAL" presumably and not a race. I am not for one instance doubting what jon.E said earlier... but its all seems a bit semantics like for me. When does a few people starting some time apart riding the same course as fast as they like turn from a coincidence to a "bit of a larf" to a race?

And at what juncture does it need such arrangements? Two people? Ten people? 10 minutes apart? 1 minute apart? One day apart?

Is LEL/audax a "race" - becauise the entire point of audax AIUI is that it is NOT a race.

Rhetorical questions.

didds