Home Chat General Chat

What should i be looking for in an HRM

After my crappy cardiosport leaked last weekend... i'm in the market for a new watch monitor.

What features should i be looking for...

so far i've worked out...

1 - is not a cardiosport!!
2 - i'd like a graph of heart rate over time to see where i'm going right/wrong
3 - the ease of use of my timex triathlon watch which i love
4 - errrrrrrr

Just learning about hr - doing a 70.3 in may so any advice would be much appreciated!! all i know so far is i'll need to keep in a certain hr range !?!? Why is May so far away Conehead??

Can you get a hrm/bike computer/watch combo - bet they are a bit pricey?!? Anyone recommend one.

Comments

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I think a few of use are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Garmin 310XT, which should do it all, but it's no available from Wiggle until late July, and then it's over £300 (ouch!)
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    They are all much of a muchness...

The first thing you need to decide is how many devices you want - I switched from an HRM to an GPS/HRM so now everything is integrated in one device - speed, distance, HRM, cadence etc.

The next feature is whether or not you want it to be waterproof. i.e. if you just want to use it for Run or Cycling training.

Another feature to consider is compatibility with other devices. For example, most gym equipment is polar compatible. It is really useful when using the treadmill or rowing machine (or bike/Xtrainer) to have it integrated with your work out.

Another feature to consider is how detailed you expect your training plan to be: if you just want a simply guide to what HR zone you are in, or whether you want to pull down a wealth of data to a PC and crunch a load of numbers there.

You want to consider if you are going to be using the device in races as well as training, and if it has a multisport mode.

You also want to consider accuracy and maintainability of the device.
    --
    I have a polar S410 which I use because it works with my Tacx Flow Turbo Trainer. It works with the gym equipment too. Theoretically it is waterproof! However, the polar (although very accurate) is very expensive to maintain. I have destroyed it's waterproof capability by changing the battery myself (well, I don't know if I have, I just suspect that I have and don't want to break it).

This model of Polar is a bit clunky when it comes to transferring data to the PC - so I've not used it for that.

--
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 410 which integrates GPS into a single device. I have the HRM and bike cadence/speed kit. It integrates with things like a PowerTap (so would should power output on the bike if I was rich enough to afford one).

However, the HRM isn't that accurate (will give crazy readings, like an HR of 220 when going downhill... unless I was going fast enough to scare myself to death...). The other thing is that it isn't waterproof - and would be difficult to use while racing in a Tri as you would have to take things off/put things on when going through transition. Other than that, it is great. It is relatively easy to transfer to a PC and the software works reasonably well.

--
    I want a Forerunner 310 XT as this works under water, as well as on the bike and run. And has a simple button to switch you through the modes as you go through transition.

--
    If shopping again I would also look at the Suunto range, which, I suspect is also of high quality.

---
    The most annoying things is inaccurate data though!

--
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Cheers guys - the 310xt does look v good - but at a price....i've pulled in quite a few owesies with the missus as it is. There's only a limited amount of time she can hear - but its the last bit of kit i need!!

a little more in my price range is this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/triathlon/10/ ... 360044229/

any thoughts...
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    My wife has one of those that she used for marathon training. Still works and faultless.

You could do miles worse.