Home Chat General Chat

Fixed Wheel Conversion

I’m thinking about converting my old training bike into a single speed bike with a flip/flop wheel..
I believe that my bike is suitable (drop out) see picture..

[attachment=0:2zv4r5it]Dropout sml.jpg[/attachment:2zv4r5it]

If not can someone let me know..
Has anyone attempted or completed a similar project before and offer my any advice.. or point me in the right direction.. I have NO idea what I’m doing but I fancy a summer project and to learn a little more about bike mechanics.

Scotty

Comments

• CooksterCookster Posts: 8
    it is possible to convert anybike from geared to single speed but t is almost imossible to do it the otherway around.

here is a link that might help with the project, enjoy

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... life-18464
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Yeah that frame is sound for a fixed wheel conversion........

If the dropouts were vertical you'ld need somthing like a white industires eno hub.

I made a fixie from an old frame and some bits from garage.
  • ye yes yes... definitely do it!

I have only done one fixie conversion. Part of my motivation was that I was bored of my old mtb commuter and didn't fancy using my existing road bike day in day out. The other part of my motivation was that I realised that I barely knew how to change a tyre, let alone any proper maintenance. I found an old abandoned road frame that was about my size and set to work.

I could write down what I did and all the steps I went through but it’s probably easier just to say that I followed the advice of Sheldon Brown: http://sheldonbrown.com/deakins/how-to- ... rsion.html

The most important thing you need to look for if you want to convert is that the frame needs to have horizontal dropouts. In a perfect word rear facing dropouts (called track ends) are best, but are relatively uncommon. You have forward facing dropouts which are still ideal.

You can use your old wheel but you say you want a flip/flop hub so you'll probably need a new wheel. Bear in mind that you can get both fixed/fixed flip flop hubs (you have a fixie on both sides, but different sized sprockets) or fixed/free (where you have a fixie on one side and a single speed freewheel on the other).

If you are replacing your bottom bracket this is one area I was advised not to scrimp on price... you don't need to break the bank but the forces exerted on the BB are much higher on a fixie so it is worth getting decent quality.

Finally there has been a lot of chat on the cadence thread about gear ratios... personally I prefer this calculator: http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/ ... pplet.html there are a million things to think about when choosing what gear is right for your fixie, but hopefully that gear calculator will help.

My main advice is do it... riding fixed is great (once you get over the learning curve), and nothing beats the feeling of riding a bike you know you put together from scratch!

More than happy to try and answer any specific questions.

Ewan

p.s. I voted to keep my rear brake for safety... plus it means I can stop when I flip to the freewheel side. I saw some IDIOT riding a single speed (ie not fixed) with only a front brake. I'm assuming the bike was new to him because I doubt he'll survive more than a couple of rides if he keeps on like that! he didn't have a helmet either