Home Chat General Chat

one stroke forward 2 back...

having 'taught' myself to swim at the beginning of the year...i was very pleased with my first sprint swim (objective was to finish!) with my version of FC which was exhale/inhale above the water
on every 2nd breath...and to be hoenst i got pretty good at this and could swim for 40+ mins no probs at a reasonable pace....last couple of weeks have started from scratch with exhale underwater + inhale above (still one sided)...and my god what a difficult change...feel like i haven't swam before..constant state of semi-drowning and mild panic...managed 30 mins this morning but stopped after 50m/100m/100m..then randomly swam for rest of time...building up to swimming lessons booked for monday at swimshack..
Someone tell me this will be worth it in the longrun?..because very temtping to go back to the bad but comfortable stroke.....

Comments

• stratoTomstratoTom Posts: 36
    Swimming is heavily technique-based, and that means changes are going to feel tough, as it's not a case of more, more, more, it's a completely different feel for the action. I'd stick with it, as the proper breathing technique will either a) let you breathe in more air whilst your head is out or b) let you take in the same amount of air in a much shorter time hence leaving you in the un streamlined breathing head position for less time.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Anything that ultimately makes you more efficient, and hopefuly faster is worth it. Just need to persevere with it, and a step backwards in the short term should results in a quantum leap forwards in the long term. You'll also feel so much better when you feel you're swimming smoother and efficiently.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Stick with it! You're probably wasting a lot of energy forcing yourself through the water rather than gliding through.

You'll be amazed at how different swimming can feel once everything starts to click in to place!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Definately stick with it, the benefits to technique are unbelivable. I used to thrash about and tire myself out completely, but now i have some technique I don't (as much) and i can swim much further and feel fresher at the end of it. Plus as you tire you will be able to fall back on technique and it will see you through. Be prepared to really take a big step back while you start to sort yourself out but it is and will be worth it in the long run.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Although I used to be a good swimmer when I was 12 the swim is now my weakest discipline due to an arthritic shoulder which means I have weak upper body strength.

What I have been concentrating on is technique, more particularly resisting the tempatation to splash away and to glide, have a look at this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ieteTZ ... re=related

Did the Sth Cerney for the first time using this technique and I did not break out of my rythm once, exited the water without feeling exhausted and was quicker by about 30 seconds than my last time (still slow but not last).

It will come, just as I am hoping that I will become smoother and faster and increase my endurance.

Good luck
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    It's also worth having a look at this, for the long slow glide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rddHPTCt ... re=related, I try, but don;t always exceed, but when I do, it just feels soooo good!
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    It's so worth it! I remember all that panicing and drowning feeling all too well (still comes back if someone asks me to sprint too often!!!).

Before long you'll be motoring through the water without a care in the world. I always hated FC and with the help of great lessons and very, very patient coaches (had to put up with me in a sobbing heap at the side of the pool saying I didn't care about FC and was going to go back to swimming breast stroke which was much faster anyway ) I now really enjoy it and when I have a good day it feels just great. First OW swim yesterday was fantastic - just cruising around in the open air in the cool water after a hot day at work - bliss (I know it probably doesn't count as OW if it was 24 degC!!)

Good luck
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    If you want some practical advice perhaps it would be an idea to beg, borrow or steal a pull buoy then you can concentrate on the stroke and breathing without worrying about your leg position - should stop the sinking feeling when you try to breath and mitigate the snatching for breath/drowning/panic etc

If you can't get hold of a pull buoy then a kick board would do breathe out under water then stroke with one arm as you turn your head to inhale to that side

Any help?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    @aon: I would wait until your coaching. You will be completely surprised at what they tell you to do!

I am pretty sure that it won't be the breathing that you will have to focus on first. The first thing will be your position in the water... then more likely the timing of your stroke... You have to get the most important things right first - and, perhaps counter intuitively, the breathing is one of the last things to worry about. Mainly because if the key things are there, then it becomes a whole lot easier!

I have found that training fins are far better at enabling a good position to be achieved, so that you can focus on stroke and timing... but, I'm pretty sure your first lesson will be to get balanced in the water!

I could be wrong.. but, really, if you have the lesson booked, don't stress too much about things until then!