Home Chat General Chat

I need another target already...

My target for this year was not to humiliate myself in my club's Olympic wave at the London Triathlon.
There's a couple of smaller goals in there with regard to training.
With months of training and focus behind me, I have realised that the London Triathlon is only 4 weeks away.
Then what?
Is that it for me until next year?
I need another goal! 2009 can't end for me on August 2nd!
Suggestions, pu-leez.

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    do a second OD and smash your time?
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Its not Triathlon but...............................Hellrunner south in november!!!! If you do i will see you there. I think Scott Burrows is going to do it to!
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    At the start of the year when I finally plucked up courage to have a go at Tri, the Sprint at London was my target. Wary that I hadn't doen anything, and the thoughts of making a complete hash of it in front of the large crowd, I entered a few sprints earlier in the year, and the bug bit. Last week did a Sprint on the Sunday, an Aqauthlon on the Thursday, and my first OD on Saturday. Finished around the time I expected, and I've still got a smile on my face 6 days later.

I've now reviewed the rest of the year, and have decided not to do London, it's a bigger event, more a distance I know I can do, so not too challenging. And anyway, the logistics and expense of travelling from Cardiff seem to make it a bad idea. So in order to find my next challenge, I'm up'ing my training slightly, and having a go at The Little Woody, a HIM distance race in the Forest of Dean, at the end of August. I'm interested now in doing different distance events, as I'm not sure whether I'm built for speed (unlikely) or endurance (hopefully).

Either have a go at another OD and see if you can better your time, or step up a distance and try a challenge of a different type.
    And now for something completely different, Tough Guy, in January
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    I'm training for a marathon, Berlin in September!
    It'll make your legs good and strong for next year, realy for a 70.3!
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    What about the Tour of the Peak in September? Features three of the "most revered" climbs in the UK.
    Got my last tri in August (although trying to decide whether to fit one in Sept!) and am then concentrating on bike races/challenges.
  • I can suggest Beachy Head Marathon..

More an event than a race... couple of gentle climbs.. you can run/jog or even walk...

And Yes Blinky.. I haven't forgotten about Hellrunner.. I will need some details though..

Scotty
  • No prizes for guessing what im about to suggest . . .

try some kettlebell challenge if you want something a little different, itll have a similar effect to you as Interval running so I dont think itd damage you tri work.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    I had intended to finish the season off with the Brighton Triathlon, as it would be my first sea-swim OD but since it's cancelled it'll probably be a couple more OD's at Dorney Lake. So pretty much guaranteed a new PB after London!
    I had looked at the London Duathlon in Richmond Park but feel a bit odd paying £53 to use a park I run and ride in every weekend anyway.

I like the sound of The Little Woody but I reckon it's a big old leap from OD to 1900swim/ 60mile bike / 21.1k run! Maybe keep that for next year.
    Although, it is only 25% full and I do have 8 weeks, so....
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    On the 7th Nov there's the boxhill ballbuster (duathlon.. 5x 8mile laps around boxhill - 1xrun, 3xbike, 1x run).. this is my end of season race before the future Mrs Chappers has my undivided attention for the wedding in December

http://www.wherecanwego.com/Search/View ... x?e=250671
    That was my thinking, not going to enter straight away, but see how the training is going. Stepping up from an OD swim of 1500m to 1900m is not too substantial, so no real worries. Bike from 40km to 90km, is a big leap, but a few long rides to test, and should be do'able. The run, going from 10km to 21.1km, is probably the biggest challenge, but I'm looking to do a half marathon in October anyway, so it'll force me to train the longer distance. But, my general feeling is better to train, enter, and fail, than not to.

What I really need is a Long Distance Rookie training day in early/mid August, any ideas?
    I like the sound of the Ballbuster!
    Do that and then do nothing but sit around and wait for my Christmas dinner.

gdh250467: give Conehead a minute, I'm sure he'll have a camp somewhere in the Northern hemisphere!
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    that's the one though the first week in Jan '10 I get to swan off on a sunny Honeymoon ... hmm sea swimming
  • CooksterCookster Posts: 8
    here's one for the nutters, the grim challenge or the grim duathlon, the challenge is an 8 mile run/wade, all offroad its done in aldershot in december
    the officail garb is:
    "Course
    This land is used to test Army vehicles so expect it to be interesting! You will reach a long hill shortly after the start before descending again eventually reaching a water filled ravine. You will run on over puddle-strewn paths before having to crawl under camouflage netting. You'll eventually reach some man-made mounds before arriving at and running through some rather large puddles. Expect to get very wet! You'll run on to the fast vehicle driving circuit where it is rocky underfoot. This brings you to some more large areas of water and the finish area."

the duathlon is a 5k run then a 20k bike ride and then another 5k run, luckily all done in october:

"Course
    The land is used as an army vehicle testing area so expect it to get interesting. You will run on a mixed terrain and you'll get wet. The bike route will be 2 laps of a 10k loop that includes a rocky circuit, sand dune and sandy paths, a hill circuit, moguls and some water. Be prepared to get off your bike and carry it in sections – this is a GRIM Duathlon!"

more information on http://www.grimchallenge.co.uk
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    First challenge of 2010 - Tough Guy (see you there GDH)

followed by France training camp in April

followed by 2 x 70.3 events, not sure which ones yet, possibly Eireman first
    I'm just back from lunch and all I've thought about is The Little Woody...
    Can I? Can't I? Could I?! If I did it, could I take the next day off work?
    The thought of it is pushing the London Triathlon OD from my A race to just another training weekend!

I've got my first OD this weekend. Let's see how that goes but I can see The Little Woody being back on my mind come Monday morning!

...and Cookster that suggestion is for nutters!
    Do it, treat the OD races as one big brick session. I sanction the day off work for you if you want.