Home Chat General Chat

Strathclyde - 26/07/09

anyone else doing this? Anyone else done it... what did you think?

I had heard a few years back it was cancelled due to dangerous levels of poisinous organisms in the water ......

I've entered and I'm in full flow with the training, won't have my new dream machine for it though. Claudia will just have to horse along...

Comments

• Yeah I Am entered, Doesnt surprise me about the water to be fair!

Hows your training going?

What time you going for?
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Trainings ok, could be better but its been ramped up significantly this week. The tri club has helped.

The runs my biggest worry. I seem to be able run 10k+ no bother but when it comes to the tri, I just can't seem to get going.

I'm hoping for 2hrs 40ish. I always said in my first year my main aim was to finish a sprint, done that so I've adjusted my aim to finish an OD.

Coincidently, I'll have an aqua sphere, blue marlin wet suit. You can't miss it!!!
    Soz,

meant to ask, what about you?

Training and times?????
  • hahaha,

Ill be the guy who looks like he doesnt belong there, ill be sporting an ancient orca wetsuit and i donno what an aquasphere is but i dont got one

Times...well i aim to be out of the water by the 50 minute mark (other wise is disqualification. . .) after that, im just in it to finish it although im hoping to be under 3:30. Any idea what the maximal finish times are?

Training is actually going well I ran 10k for the first time ever the other day after a 20k cycle...
    no idea mate.

To be honest, with me anything under sub 3hrs is the aim but I'd love 2hrs 40m. I do think its a long shot.

Trust me, you can't miss my wetsuit, as the name suggests it has a good deal of blue on it!!!

Looking forward to it, a few folks at the club suggested the bike is really good.
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Make sure you don't drink the water chaps !!
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Mmmm... Interesting...
    I wonder if I could shift my trip to Glasgow to coincide with this.
    My wife won't suspect a thing!
    "...but why do you need to bring your bike and your wetsuit? We're only visiting your Dad"

Never a good idea to drink the water in a foreign country!
    Read a report on-line. Water is fine...... if I'm ill with the runs/sickness though.....

Yeah foreign countries are always a prob when drinking water!!! You should sign up GFH
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Hi Lads and lassies....

I'm doing the Strath as well (and London the following week, think I need my head looked at!).

Really really not looking forward to the early start, if I'd known I would never have signed up!

Hope to break 2:30 for the first time, but my training's been patchy this year, so who knows...
  • ahh someone on the tri glasgow board says the swim is 50 mins prob cause of the temperature (thats....worrying) but theres no other cut offs within reason.

Looks like i might finish afterall
    Coma,

You'll be fine, best thing to do is get in the water for a little while to get used to the temp.

I done that on my first OW and came out the water about the 17m mark. I would've posted a far better time had my googles which had never leaked decided to roleplay as a seive for the day.

Trust me mate, you be out the water in no time at all.
  • 17 mins!?!?

It takes me 17 mins to do 30 lengths
    Coma,

my first OW was 750m.....

Where about in Scotland are you?
  • I stay in the wonderful, scenic and peaceful province of...south glasgow haha

you?
    I'm in Ayrshire,

a little dump of a village called cumnock.

There is a good fresh water swim down in the river doon in Ayr. If you want I can meet you there and go for a OW swim. If you've not done one before it maybe a good idea.

Alternatively, I was thinking about do a swim recce of the loch, perhaps a quick blast of the bike course and run?

You up for it?
  • Yeah both sound good, when you thinking?
    Well it needs to be either this weekend or next, but 18th July (sat) is my birthday so thats prob out the question. I'll speak to the wife tonight and run it past her.

Which one River Doon or Strathclyde loch?
    Hi guys, I'm Glasgow based too, so would possibly be up for this.

I'm sure I read we can't swim in Strathclyde loch other than on the Saturday afternoon, when there's a practice session. I'll check the race info again and post it.
    ....couldn't work out how to edit my post.

Yep - in the race briefing: You are not permitted to swim in Strathclyde Loch at any time other between 4.30pm & 5.30pm on Saturday 25th July and at your designated Wave time
  • Im up for either or, as long as its easy enough to get to - not got a car at the moment
    Yeah you did read that, doesn't prevent a recce of the course though.

River Doon was shallow enough to stand up in but deep enough to swim in and its fresh water. Providing its not in spey it was a good swim.

Open to other suggestions though
    River doon is really easy to get to, if going by train then I can pick you up at the station, ditto bus.

If its strathclyde then we can sort something out.

I'm easy either way. A nice training session with other folks would be good.
    oh yeah, good point, I don't drive either...

Fresh water would be nice, not that sure the same category applies to Strathclyde Loch.. I'd be up for the Doon (up for the doon? ).

I'm also heading over to Strathclyde onnthe Saturday and staying in a local hotel, as the lack of driving ability screws me for the early start (plus an extra 30mins in bed).
    the doon is in ayr, where are you based?
    ...just to clarify I won't be training on the Saturday, apart from maybe a slow easy cycle round the route.

I'm in North Glasgow, but me & Coma could arrange a time to meet you at the station?
  • sounds like a great plan , Just let me know when suits you guys, im free both weekends but im a 9-5 mon-fri

damn now i have to go and get my dusty old wetsuit....
    Well it would need to be this sat as the following sat is my birthday.

I'd be hoping a for a reasonable day as well, if its been raining before then no chance.

I'd be happy to pick you's up at Ayr Central, the trains run every 20mins from Central Station.

You's can PM to let me know, I'll need to clear it with the missus as well as she likes to go away on a sat whereas I don't ....
    This Saturday could be good for me - I'm likely celebrating my birthday the following week as well... Coma?
  • yeah im in.

get yours mrs told Shadow1 its essential training...that cannot be avoided
    OK...pending spousal approval this Saturday it is. Let's go for early-mid afternoon so it's warmer? or should that be less cold...