Home Chat General Chat

calling the wilts / somerset members

risris Posts: 1,002
it's 3weeks until city of bath triathlon and i'm sure there are a few of us on here taking part.

does anyone fancy a recce of the bike route on an upcoming weekend? the mapmytri information predicts 'lumpy' with what looks like 3 moderate climbs - http://www.mapmytri.com/ride/united-kingdom/bath/957940236503

it would be a start up at the uni... bit of a slog to get up but will be a good warmup! i'm not averse to cake stops.

Comments

• [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Hey Ris, I'd be up for this.
    Not sure when I'd be able to make it just yet, not this weekend as I have the Rookie Day on Saturday.

Would consider doing it the weekend after, on the Saturday (4th), but would need to be reasonably early.
  • JoddyBearJoddyBear Posts: 66
    Hey guys,

i'm up for a saturday ride if you've got room for a (very, very) slow'un.

i've driven all the roads on the course so i know the route but i can only imagine how painful some of those hills are going to be.

J
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i'm pretty sure the 4th is good for me, and early morning would be easiest as well so i can get home and play at being a family man.

the more the merrier and i hope speed is not an issue! i'm there to do a recce, not break any records or worry about time. if anyone wants to do any other rides in and around bath/chippenham/calne area at weekends then i should be able to make it out to some.

anymore for the 4th? i'll try and keep a reminder going over the next week or so...
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    hi ris.. I haven;tforgotten you. Don;t have a bike at the moment (repairs and servicing) tho should have two shortly!

didds
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Can't make the ride for geographical reasons, but please post a report as I'm entered in to the OD race in July and have only driven the, somewhat lumpy, bike course.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Are any of you doing the Bristol Tri on 26th July? I'm in for that one.
    jonhinio, is the bristol tri the one out toward thornbury?

i've all but decided to avoid it as i'm not sure how well i'll be recovered from city of bath. peer pressure does work on me though.

i'm often in bristol though so maybe i should come over and cheer on any forummers!
    I've also considered it, but haven't signed up for the same reason as Ris.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    yep it's the Thornbury one. Will be my first pool based tri.
    4th still good for joddybear and toph? does anyone have a time preference for early morning? i can probably do from about 7.30am, which i know for some families is practically the afternoon!
    if it's that sort of time of day then i'm fine.

I had actually forgotten (like all good grandsons) that it is my Grandads 80th on the 4th and i need to get down to exeter for about half 12.

so for me, the earlier the start, the better.

but i'll have to go with the majority obviously, if i can't join you, i'd be looking to do perhaps an evening over the next couple of weeks...?

J
    ok, 7.30 up at the uni it is then... unless toph or didds or anyone else has a different preference...

if it does change then a weekday evening might be do-able (provided i can get a pass...)
    sounds good.

is there parking at the uni? or nearby?

i mean i know where the offical park and ride is but i think that's slightly different to what we're talking about
    there are car parks at the uni, but i'm not sure if it costs to park there at weekends.

there is some free parking that i think will be available at that time of the morning, after turning into the uni take the right after the football pitches - that road usually has spaces (road is called the avenue, may be signed to the american museum).

i'm going to cycle, so if i am late then you will find me in a wheezing heap half-way up north road or bathwick hill!
    final calls for anymore who want to join the mini-peloton on the bath tri course.

think of it like a conehead's training day but without the excellent training tips, goody bags of stuff, wetsuit training, bike servicing advice and rick kiddle. maybe i should have thought through that comparison

go on... you know you want to...
    I've been told i'm not aloud out tomorrow morning by my girlfriend. So can't make it, sorry guys.
    Please report back.
    i'm there dude.

i shall see you in the car park at half 7 with the trusty steed.

quite looking forward to it really.

just dont expect speedy climbs
    no probs toPh, i had to do a bit of begging to get my pass!

joddybear, i've got a couple of chaps from my office to join us so we can share the work on the route. with all that drafting we'll be like mountain goats skipping up the hills!
    skipping up to mountain goats on hills?

i know i'm from somerset but i'm not really into that

i suppose one should always be willing to try something new
    must be a wilts thing then!
    i'll try and write a more detailed route report, but should mention now that we got a bit lost!

my budget map let me down and as a result we missed the turn after radstock to head to norton st philip. having looked at on mapmy was a long downhill section. on the day i hope it is marshalled.

on the upside we did about 55k when the route itself is 40, so plenty of practice for the day. with getting to the uni and back i've racked up 100k today and can really feel it.

the 3 steeper hill sections are pretty brutal. the final one, up midford hill, is particularly cruel on the knackered athlete. some of the road is poor as well.

top effort from joddybear, despite the protestations there were problems getting up those hills at all! good to meet you - see you in 2weeks joddy.
    i wouldn't say there were no problems, i was wheezing like a geriatric hooker at times.

still, survived it which is always a bonus.

many thanks for organising that ris, just remind me to bring the sat nav next time