Home Chat General Chat

Lower back ache on the bike

Ok......i do realise that i'm treating this forum as my tri-team.......oh.......there's an idea.......never mind.....bet somebodies already thought of that!

Anyway.......i'm sure this has come up a thousand times before.......but...

Lower back ache on the bike, what are the causes, what are the fixes? Would love to hear what you lovely people know.....

Comments

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    Hi gary
    From what I remember people saying, its could be a combo of things:

Stem length: you could be overstretching so fix is a shorter stem after moving seat as far forward as possible.

More common is cleat position: having the cleats too far forward, so move them back a bit usually sorts it out.

Also generally flexibility and strenght are a key consideration, especially after your time off.
    So streches and strengthening the lower back (planks etc) should help.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    how low, as low as your... you know... thingbobs? oh, hang on, you beat me to that.

do you get the aches very quickly or do they only show after a freakish average speed 60k? do you get it regardless of distance / road type / number of hills etc?

suspect it is a fitting / posture thing but if you only get it after 120miles then it could be something else!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Position, pushing a high gear, with low revs.

Get your position checked. Make sure the saddle is neither too high, or too low. I think these are more important than reach, as you will naturally move the hands to a more comfortable position - altering the reach each time.

Then, try to keep the cadence high, even if it means a lower gear. Pushing a high gear (too high a gear) really stresses the quads, glutes, and lower back.

If this happens on gentle, but long rides, check the position... and also look at doing some core strengthening - especially moves that work lower back, glutes, and quads - e.g. bridge curls on a swiss ball (you don't need a gym to do this!)
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    the back starts to ache after about 40K........today i noticed it getting painful at about 45K when heading down a 4k straight into a horrible headwind - so i was travelling pretty slow, with high cadence, and in the aero position.

......more thoughts?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Advice still stands. But, I think it is more likely to be fatigue/tension than position after that amount of time. I.e. strength and technique, then position. When it starts to hurt, change move up on the handle bars, change down and peddle harder.

Work on core strength in your "gym" sessions!
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Gary, I had exactly the same problem today at almost the same distance!! Very stiff lower back...it's still a bit poorly now but did loads of stretching when I got back - gluts, hamstrings etc etc...will be stretching again later...probably should have stretched too first thing!
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I'm getting pain after about 40k, but mine is at the top of my back kind of across my shoulders behind my neck. This is on my road bike riding on the hoods only, no aero business going on.

Is this a similar issue, or could it be that I'm too tense in my shoulders on the bike and just need to relax more?
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I suffered low back ache - and it was tight hamstrings!
    Stretch and work on your core.
    Also try doing some back extensions to help realign your back after riding aero.