Home Chat General Chat

Total Immersion

I've been attempting to self teach myself this method of swimming for about four months now, and it's slowly sinking in. However, my swim times haven't really improved, but I'm exiting the water feeling a lot fresher.

Is it worth persevering with it for the energy benefits it brings, and would I progress quicker with lessons?

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    You've got to the point where you would really benefit from lessons.

You are seeing some results... but... you will not be doing it right - simply because it is really really difficult to assess how your swimming is.

You could go for a TI course, or something a bit shorter such as a coached session in an endless pool with video.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Any recommendations on a good location / coach, or is it Google?
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Depends on where you are. Swim for Tri, if you're anywhere near Canary Wharf.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I can wholeheartedly recommend http://www.swimtherapy.co.uk. Not strictly TI, but they understand it well! That's leicester way.
  • TI_UKTI_UK Posts: 2
    Jack Hughes wrote:
    I can wholeheartedly recommend http://www.swimtherapy.co.uk. Not strictly TI, but they understand it well! That's leicester way.
    Sorry Jack, those guys have no concept of what we do and most certainly will not focus you on the things we would emphasise. The only place to get Total Immersion instruction is from a TI coach. They are listed on our website at http://www.totalimmersion.co.uk/07Find_a_Coach.html

Further, people can get genuine TI instruction about a ten minute drive from the facility you have named by coming to see me at SwimShack in Loughborough http://www.swimshack.co.uk/
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Whilst I can't pass comment on TI, I thought the swimfortri coached filming session in the endless pool down Canary Wharf way was a bleedin' revelation. Mostly down to perceived stroke and actuality being worlds apart!
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Hi TRIumphant,

I learned basically from scratch by TI and it has worked brilliantly - sadly coaching was in NZ and I'm guessing you're not too keen on going that far

I do now have (apparently) great, relaxed technique but I am having a couple of problems which I'm told are typical for TI bods: I'm having difficulty increasing stroke rate and so going faster and the low head position/high elbow recovery are great for the pool but not so hot in a wetsuit OW swimming!

On the plus side I now love swimming FC and if there is no one else around to show how slow I'm going I look great too!
  • Hi all

I have reached the read-the-book, tried-the-method, like-it stage of learning about TI, but have accepted I now need a REAL coach to help me out. Anyone know any good coaches, hopefully with TI experience in the South West - am based in Bath. I have contacted TI to see if they fancy hosting a course down here in the deepest darkest corner of England, as the other courses seem far far away from here. If there is interest from "us" there may be interest from "them".

So coaches? Interest in TI courses in SW?

Shout out!
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Don't forget that TI and other modern swimming courses will probably have a huge amount in common. Try not to get too hung up on the idea of needing a TI tutor - there are other ways (like, er, Bath Amphibians).
  • Cheers juleso
    I have tried "normal" swim coaching and did not get as much from it (performance wise) as reading the TI book and trying some of the drills, so would like to find out more about it. I appreciate it isnt for eneryone. Many swim sets (even beginner ones) start with a warm up that is not far off of my maximum distance, and have a totla distance beyond that which i am capable of, and I know how long it took me to get to that point!

I am happy with my bike and run training so am looking for swim only advice, plus the Amphibians a bit on the expensive side for me. I have free pool access so what is already expensive becomes even dearer as their membership includes pool fees.

Ta though.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    well guys, i cant comment on TI or anything....cause i'm a crap swimmer....i do 400m in about 12min...lol
    you know i could step up to OD now if i was only sure i could swim a mile....so while your dishing out advice dish some to me....i'm not really interested in going any faster...i'm interested in it getting easier....if i could swim front crawl all the way i'd shave 3 minutes from my time....and if i could swim fc for a mile i'd be happy to just finish.
    where should I start???
    @Andyb99 - I can only really comment on TI, when I started I could swim breast stroke all day but struggled after 50 m fc I had one set of 8, weekly, group TI lessons and found that got the basics sorted. After that I moved up to an "intermediate" level course where I went twice a week which combined technique with fitness and endurance. That worked really well and now it is just a question of getting the fitness and speed up. I no longer go to the same squads because I have moved back to the UK

I'm not sure that helps you though
    I think Andy, what I'm trying to say is some lessons would be a really good investment whether you go for TI or others, swimming is all about technique really
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    yeah its just that the lessons seem to be about speed...i really dont care what my time is....i just want to be able to swim a mile and not throw up in my goggles.
    tricentral have an endless pool near me, though i'm not sure what their rep is like or whether their coaches push for speed or ease....if you get what i'm saying, i want distance not speed.

I've got the TI swim with ease or whatever dvd so i'll have a look and see if that helps...if not...looks like its lessons over the winter
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Any coach worth his salt will listen to your requirements and tailor coaching to your needs be it in a group or one to one.

Part of your anxiety I'm guessing is a bit of the fear creeping in/self doubt which I'm very familiar with. These questions that went through my head may sound familiar

"Will everyone be better than me?", "Will I hold people up?", "Will everyone think I'm wasting their time?"

I went so far as to email swimfortri cancelling the day before my first session but they convinced me to do otherwise and I'm bloody glad I didn't.

Best thing is to get in touch with a swim coach, whoever it may be. Be honest about your goals, what your current level is and if you don't like their response, find someone else. Its your cash you can choose to spend it where you like!

I can guarantee you won't be the worst swimmer they've ever seen. Good luck mate!
    Like Dave said any decent coach should focus on actually getting you through the water first, if you aren't relaxed and happy in your stroke you can't push to get faster whilst still maintaining technique and not flailing around or exhausting yourself generally.

Get in touch with someone good, talk to them first about what you want and how they suggest going about getting it and make sure it is someone you trust. After all its your money so you get to choose what you focus on - it's not about their goals in the end.

And if it's any consolation you can't possibly be worse than me when I started and had a panic attack and pretty much spent the whole first session out of the pool and that's before the session where I threw a paddy and said I never wanted to do FC again and broke down in tears and the one where...... Still it is all worth it in the end honest

Good luck