Home Chat General Chat

First Half Iron Done

GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
So finally broke my Half Iron Cherry today.

Boy it was tough as much mentally as physically.

Think i managed ok on nutrition 1 gel before swim 3 on bike and mixing water and sports drink. It was hot so craved water all through the run.

Managed a 5.45.50 so pretty happy with that. (Cleveland Steelman - 2000m Swim, 58m Bike and 12m run)

Need to see the final results but splits were something like this...

Swim 36min
T1 about 1.40
Bike 3.11
T2 30secs
Run 1.59

The run was slow for me but i was past caring by then and it was about finishing.

My transitions are a lot faster (Rookie Day!).

Will need the Les Stables week or Ironman training day!

Need to get faster and therefore more efficient on the bike and that should sort the run.

Hoping to do a full next year so will probaly need a more structured training plan.

G

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Sounds good too me! Well done!!
  • Well done mate.
    I.M. next year?
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Fantastic, can't wait to have a go myself. Are you going to submit a race report?
  • Im SpartacusIm Spartacus Posts: 204
    Well done, good effort. I would be delighted with that run without doing the bike or swim first.
    I could be tempted myself next year.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Very nice, GHarv. Very nice indeed. From a fellow recent 70.3 cherry popper, I give you my heartiest congratulations. Bloody amazing feeling, isn't it?

Now then, President Conehead says there's only one way to go... and I suspect he's talking about letting triathlon ruin your life just like his. He's talking about going for the IM.

Alternatively, you could get out there and have a crack at knocking 30mins off your 70.3 time next year.

But, there is a THIRD way...

Try what I did: Train for Olympic distance ONLY. Lose your way, lose your motivation (losing your job helps, at this point) and really feel like you can't be arsed. Only then will you be prepared for the 'Half-Arsed 70.3 Challenge'... you're two main aims will be 1) finish... 2) ... but not in Casualty. See if you can get away with only going 30 mins slower than your previous time.

Believe me, after this training course you will be doing Sprints before breakfast, OD in your lunch break and still getting to your evening training session on time! It's all about Mental Strength!

Seriously, that was a bloody good effort. What do you reckon about IM? My conclusion was that I'll keep sprints as train-through practice, OD will be a time challenge (still haven't done a 2:30) and 70.3 will be my once or twice per year 'treat'. I'd probably pick two 'A' races, making one an early OD and the other a late 70.3... although maybe that should be the other way around? Do the 70.3 with a load of base training under my belt then up the pace to hit a good OD.... opinions, anyone?
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    nice one gharv, i hope you are basking in the warm weather with a well deserved drink in hand.

inspiration indeed - maybe one day i'll try a 70.3
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Totally excellent Gharv... brilliant job.

Bopo... either way around makes sense, eh? (Actually I like the sound of early HIM and late OD but that's cos I am lazy over winter and lots of LSD is up my street!)

Pick your races, book them then just train.

didds
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Thanks for all the messages.

I think it will have to a full branded event next year!

G