Home Chat General Chat

Numb meat and two veg!

Mmmmm....where do i start? Ah yes.....at the beginning.

When i'm in the aero position for more than about 4-5mins i find i go a little numb in the, err....you know....the errr.......in the "meat and two veg" area. Then i get concerned so get up on the hoods for a minute or two before getting back down and so it goes on.....

.....can any of you guys suggest anything......

(I realise i will now be subjected to a tidal wave of sarcasm and dodgy humour)

Comments

• icarter73icarter73 Posts: 4
    out live it till they drop
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    gary, could your seat be a bit high or too far forward/back for aero positions? if you have tri-bars on a road bike then bear in mind that areo positioning wants slightly different seat/bar positions for optimum confort. with a tri bike it is set up for that, with a road bike the set up will be more for the road position so the compromise could be wrong for prolonged aero.

this is all a guess,so i could be horribly mistaken with that logic!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    General saddle soreness - you just need to harden up a bit.

But this, you need to be a bit more careful about.

You are putting pressure on your perineum. This isn't designed for load bearing. This applies to both males and females.

Saddle type, saddle position (saddle tip a bit too high). Counter intuitively, too much padding in the shorts can also increase pressure and numbness.

Try tipping the saddle down a fraction. Try sitting a bit further back so the wider bits are under your pelvis.

If you want more children, then persuade the missus that an anatomical saddle (one with a groove in it) is worth getting (then slip a cadence counter in with the order).
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    good thinking jack - i can see you've done that before to get other equipment in!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    A massage always does it for me!
    Careful! Too much self massage will make you go blind.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I was going to recommend a good sports masseure who works on street corners. But I don't want to put my eyesight to risk.
  • can we get advice for the ladies on this too (sorry to highjack your post gary) but i feel your pain i don't know how you guys do it i could defiantly not cycle with anything between my legs!
    Up until the massage bit, it I don't think there was anything gender specific!

It's all about 1) Spreading the load across the pelvic bones - yes, there are some differences in the saddle width required to do this, 2) Appropriate cushioning, 3) Making sure the saddle alignment is OK.

On second thoughts, the massage bit probably applies too!
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    happytribunny: i could defiantly not cycle with anything between my legs!
    its almost tempting to do a comanighttrain type comment here, but its too easy! :roll:
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    don't rub them - count them.

didds
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Similar problem,
    Bike plus Turbo trainer = numbness
    bike plus road=less numbness.
    Probably caused by vibration and clothing being too restricted(quite noticeable if wearing one piece trisuit,but less in standard cycling shorts).
    change of seatpost may help.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    There is an article on a similar question in this (July) edition of Triathlete magazine..the american one.
    Basically echoing what has been said, a good road set is not quite the same when aerobars are added, to get optimum fit & comfort then seat post angle may need alteration, and/or stem. The article may be on the website..I have not checked, in the mag it is in the tech support section.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    There has been a post recently about 'girly bits' along these lines and I believe the same responses pooped up and also same solutions, i.e. less padding, correct saddle set up and I think also female specific saddles.

But definitely there should not be any pressure on the 'bits'