Home Chat General Chat

No matter what the distance, i can't change my cycle speed!

Seems I've discovered that it doesn't matter if I'm cycling 20k or 60k, i'll still average 31kph.......

......so, i wanted to know your experiences and thoughts please.....

Comments

• you might as well go long then.. I'd suggest IM next year????

Scotty
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    how's it goin' buddy?
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    sounds like you are some sort of mutant speed genius.

tell me the secrets of not getting knackered and slower.

my 20k and 40k times are roughly comparable, but for 60... i don't think my numbers are even close.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Gary, do you have any means of measuring cadence? If not, time to get a new gadget!

You want some intervals... Pick a gear, then keep up a high cadence for a bit - e.g. 90 RPM. You could use a time, or, even better, a long hill.

Next time, a bigger gear, and the same cadence. Hey presto! A faster time.

THe point is that you are chasing power, not speed - the speed will come as power increases.

You could try this on your favourite, shortish, circuit. A 10 mile one would be nice.

My favourite workout: I just set my Garmin 405 to display nothing but cadence. And I try to get 90 RPM all the way round, in the biggest gear that I can push. If if drop below 80, then I change down, and work my hardest to get back to 90 RPM. If I get above 90, then I change up. I carry on doing this until I get home, or die.

When I get back, I then upload the performance data and then look at speed, HR etc.
    time to get a new gadget!
    I think you mentioned somewhere in your post about dying - thats what WILL happen to me if i buy a garmin (the WAT officer has access to the kitchen knives).

But thanks for the info.......i like the training plan......maybe i just try to use feel ?!?!?!!?
    You don't have to spend a lot to get cadence < £20 if you don't mind putting up with wires! Plus there's eBay!
    Jack....Jack....Jack....

I'm a triathlete. I don't (can't) buy cheap stuff.

I will need to get the top of the line garmin sat-nav, HRM, cadence, blood pressure, power, thermometer, altimeter, etc etc etc etc.....

As it happens, i have been looking at the latest garmin today.......but its tooooo expensive!
    garyroberts wrote:

I will need to get the top of the line ... blood pressure..
    Hey! I have the Omron M7 blood pressure gadget. They are great. Top of the range of the non-mercury ones - same as your GP/Clinic will use. Does Blood Pressure and resting heart rate. An most excellent gadget for measuring a really significant measure of health (your blood pressure will vary throughout the day, so being able to measure at the same time each day is far more realistic than going to the docs to get it measured).

But I digress.

They were flogging them cheap in Boots one day, and I couldn't resist ( £50 or £60 instead of £120).

One of my key performance goals is to get my blood pressure < 115/70.

I must be a triathlete!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    intervals are great, i've been trying to fit in some 30sec / 1min sets into my daily commute. i figure that if i can do 3-4 in succession, or 4-5 in groups more spaced out then in the long run i will build some power. after i've recovered from feeling like my legs and heart are going to pop.

i was still trying them at the end of a long morning ride today but couldn't maintain hard effort for more than 20secs most times. good to know that mentally i was still up for it, even if the body wasn't convinced.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    G-dog, I've got the wired Cateye Strada with Cadence which set me back 30 quid on Wiggle (with my personal discount), is that cheap enough to keep the knives at bay?
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Intervals are definitely the way to go.
    I was going along at a very similar speed to you until I started doing some short, sharp gut-busting intervals.
    I tend to do a ride of about 20k or so and then hit the intervals. I do 2 miles flat out - and I mean flat out - like I can hardly breathe - then recover for the time it took me to do the two miles. I usually do about four of five repeats. I can hold about 37kph for the intervals..and it seems to have done the trick. I can hold between 33-34 now on my other rides.
  • mikescotttmikescottt Posts: 48
    Gary ... have you been looking at the Garmin 310HT HR ??? I've pre-ordered mine. Should be here in a week or two. Looks fantastic ... and not toooo expensive Cadence thingy is only a few quid on top

Anyone else seen one /got one / know of anyone who'se got one ???
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Work has just started a cycle to work scheme,and some of my colleagues have been slightly flexible in their purchasing.The scheme allows the standard £1000,which will cover the purchase of the bike plus safety equipment,one person has purchased a £400 bike plus £600 worth of safety equipment such as helmet,lights,locks,BRAND SPANKING NEW GARMIN all singing all dancing device which did bring the purchase price down by some considerable amount.
    There has been other variations as well but they sem to be on a par with the MP's expenses.
    I digress..improve you speed by getting out of your comfort zone,hill sprints,hill repeats,doing your regular route but stay in the same gear,harder than it seems particularly if you choose a big one.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The big gear thing always make my knees feel like they are trying to part company with the rest of my legs.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Short Intervals...

Long Intervals.....

Very long rides at say 25-26kph.....

Short Rides (10-20kph) at higher than 31kph....

1km Hill reps - seated max out - end of each rep you should feel sick on the 6th or 7th rep you should be sick:) (in fact this is a session im doing today...)

20 min warm up inc short 8-10s sprints,
    6 x 1km hill reps on hill around 3-4% incline, forget cadence this is all about power:),
    start in BIG ring on front BIG on rear, absolutely nail it up the hill as fast as poss, turn around at the top
    spin down hill, once at the bottom turn around and nail it up the hill again but in the next gear down the cassette,
    Repeat until 6 reps done, each rep change to a harder gear, you should finish in around the 13 or 14tooth on the cassette. REMEMBER TO STAY SEATED NO MATTER WHAT... on last rep your cadence will be down at maybe 50 or 60rpm...