Home Chat General Chat

Times Women's Only sprint - race report

CCSCCS Posts: 53
Well, after much worrying about the swim section (and lack of wetsuit), I completed the Timex Women’s Only Tri yesterday (sprint race), so I thought I would post a race report.

By way of background, this was my second tri, and my first open water. As per a thread from last week, I was somewhat nervous about the wetsuit ban, both in terms of having a bit of extra flotation as a confidence giver, and also as I am normally the sort of woman who doesn’t want to go into a swimming pool at less that 28 degrees – so 23.5 seemed pretty chilly to me! Also, after a long story involving a gas explosion on holiday; burns to my arms & legs etc, I lost a good week and a half of training, and had only swum twice in the last 6 weeks (and both of those in a pool).

Anyway, the race itself…
When I got into the water for the swim, the temperature was actually lovely (and I was reasonably calm, probably in no small part due to a good swig of Rescue Remedy just before the race). The aqua ruck was everything it has been described as – definitely got quite held up, as I am just not a confident enough swimmer to go through other people – but I was pleased to get round in a time of 9:02 – much slower than I would do in a pool, but didn’t drown / have a panic attack.

T1 went smoothly – 1:27

The bike was great – very flat and fast, and really didn’t need to even change gears once I got going. Didn’t get overtaken by anyone, and passed plenty which was a great confidence boost, and finished in 38:07.

T2 also OK – 1:10 – though feeling decidedly tired and in need of a sit down.

The run was a bit of a slog – but it’s always my worst event. Very disheartening to have to do two laps – so you get almost to the finish, and then have to turn away again to do another lap. Finished in 28:31 (actually quite good for me, but damn slow, I know – needs plenty of work).

Overall time was 1:18:17 – 76th overall, and 18th in category. Pretty pleased with that!!!

Loads to work on – and really want to sign up for some other events – but need to try and persuade my other half – as he seems to get a bit fed up with the time training takes, and me disappearing for a day for a race – oh for a bit more support at home!

Comments

• CCSCCS Posts: 53
    Forgot to say...

...I am also managed to raise £765 in sponsorship for Breast Cancer Care in doing this - equally, if not more proud of this!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Very well done. Good report. Great to see that you tackled adversity head on - overcame those worries, did it and got a good result. Very impressed with your fund raising efforts too. Hopefully your enthusiasm will infect the other half!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Excellent result, on both time and money raised.

The swim was slower than you could do in the pool, but how did it compare with a wetsuit.
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Congratulations, on both the times and money raised for charity.....now comes the question, where can I get faster next time !!!!!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Well done, facing a challenge and going out there and doing it is no mean feat - as for raising that amount - wow! Repect
  • CCSCCS Posts: 53
    Thanks for all the supportive messages.
    Feeling a bit tired this afternoon - but that is probably due to rushing straight back from the finish line for a bit of a big night out. Not sure that Sauvignon Blanc is generally recognised for its powers of rehydration!

P.S. apologies for the dyslexic typing...obviously Timex rather than Times...how on earth do you edit a post?
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Brilliant time given it's your first o/w and 2nd tri...wish I could do those times overall!!
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    well done especially on sponsorship money front! sav blanc may rehydrate, but you need oh damn i cant remember now - it was on mitchell and webb last week some sort of alcoholic sports drink!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I'm sorry to put a downer on this thread, but rehydrating after a race during a heat wave with Sauvignon blanc is thoroughly irresponsible. You should have consumed it with some salt laden snacks in order to replace lost sodium.

Get out there, and Tri again.
  • That's an excellent bike time, and well done for the fund raising .. i raised £420 once (before the days of justgiving) and I found it was more effort than the marathon itself, especially collecting promised funds after the event.

I prefer Stella for re-hydration...
    (after some water)