Home Chat General Chat

Garmin Forerunner 310XT + Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) 010-00741

Ok........i have taken the first step in buying yet another "go faster" tri-gadget. What's the first step i hear you all ask?................well, there are many "first steps" but in this case mine was surfing the web looking for what you think you might need in the future (but at this stage you are not really shopping to buy, oh no, you're just browsing......having a look around to see what's out there.....if the WAT (wife added tax) officer asks you are definitely NOT buying......just looking).

After a while you start convincing yourself that you NEED what you're looking at. There's a shift in your thinking (probably brought on by lack-of-training guilt), this shift moves you from browsing to shopping. You're no longer looking at the features, nope, you don't need to know the features anymore, because the logical part of the shopping is now complete! You have now decided that you NEED the item.

On to stage two (or three, i've lost count). You've now moved on to the price comparison stage! This shift is surprisingly automatic......you might not even realise it when its happened......its your subconscious self taking over and its unstoppable, because if you have decided you NEED the item (in the last stage), as a triathlete you MUST have it and will find a way. This uncontrollable urge is your subconscious trying to make you race FASTER!

There are lots of other steps (which i hope you will suggest) but i love the justification step, its absolutely incredible what sort of arguments i'm capable of formulating to sure up my "justification to buy". I'm beginning to think i should have been a salesman.........oh.......hang on.......that's right......i am.

The last step. The authorisation. Is the most challenging step of all. Because until now this has been a sole process, involving you and er......you. Its been easy to move seamlessly through the many steps as both of you (you and you) both want the go faster gadget – you always did really, it was just a case of ticking the boxes. To get authorisation you must put together a hugely convincing argument that you require the item. It must leave no stone unturned, no questions unanswered, your final presentation (to the WAT officer) must be calm, confident and flawless. Don’t under any circumstances give the officer the impression that you will get some kind of personal satisfaction from purchasing....this will induce an automatic increase in the tax levy and will undermine all your logical arguments that you need the item solely for your training. Instead, focus on the logical training benefits, the value arguments. I’ll say it again.....DO NOT suggest you want the item because its “cool” or “sexy” or anything of the kind.........it is a purely practical requirement that gives you no pleasure directly but will enable you to train harder/save your life/make all other past purchases all the more worth while. Oh......thats good......i like that.......this latest purchase enables you to get MORE from all other past purchases.....mmmmm.....which the officer has already authorised in the past, meaning he/she is “tied in”.......its in their interests to maximise the benefit of the past purchases. Nice.

Garmin Forerunner 310XT + Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
Our Price: £263.93

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Remember that it is easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is for permission.

Maybe that should be on the quotes thread!
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Gary, is there a step involving locking the knife drawer? What about the knives?!
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    is there a step involving locking the knife drawer?
    I wouldn't be here if that weren't a pre-requisite of all the steps......it comes under health and safety regulations at home....under the triathlete subsection.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    due to the miserable response to my post i feel i should ask the question directly.....

.....does anyone have one of these? Can you offer any insights/recommendations? Should i consider something else??
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Pretty sure they haven't been released yet, but if the bank manager says it's OK, i'm hoping to get one this summer.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Yeah. Lack of response isn't because there's no interest in it. Although you can pre order them, I don't think they're released until July 20th (Wiggle reporting late July). I'm sure that deep down the majority of us want them, and if sufficient funds are available we will get them. However, before I commit I think I would like to see it in the flesh and read a real users review. Although all the other Forerunners are good pieces if kit I might just bite the bullet and order.
  • They are now available,

I've saved all my birthday money and I'm hunting for the cheapest possible price.. As I already have a garmin 305 with 2 HR straps I'm in the process of finding our if the old HR straps are compatible with the 310XT, therefore hopefully saving me money..

BUT... I have a Tri friend who has purchsed one.. he wore it in the lake swimming (which is the real reason I want one!) but.. it recorded a total of 3 miles in a hour of swimming.. I haven't talked directly to him about this yet.. but if it doesn't work accurately in the lakeit's useless.. my only thought is that perhaps it's so sensitive that is is logging the total distance his arm moved through the stroke..

I'll update as and when I find out more..

if anyone sees any reviews can they point us in the right direction.. I would like to be confident in the devices ability before I purchase..

Scotty
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I realy want one of these, if it is as good as the 405 which I have then it will be a very good bit of kit. The 405 picks up satelite quickly and is very reliable. when these are released i may well sell my 405 and get one of these so that I can claim the GAT should only be applied to the difference and that a form of 'taper relief' for the 405 should be taken into account so i get the benefit of the full cost of the 405 (on which i had suffered GAT) against the cost of the 310...i may need to word this correctly and sort some form of precedent in tax law, but i'm pretty sure that there is some somewhere.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    The 305xt is really quite a piece of work! It can integrate all of the things you've already bought and make you one step closer to having instant access to every bit of data regarding your body all at once. They were released in America about a month ago, and there isn't universal praise or condemnation.

I tried one on, and it was HUGE. Huge like a desktop computer strapped on your forearm. I'd suggest getting a concrete block to carry in your other arm to balance you out. Second impression, WOW look at all this info! Your gps, heart rate, power meter, cycling or running cadence, speed, distance EVERYTHING... No other product can give you that much all together.

It does not replace the 405. It replaces the 205/305 and does it well. The 405 is another game, which it seems like is due to get its upgrade come the end of the year.

I want one, but first want to get a powertap wheel because without using that functionality, you can just get a Polar multisport watch for half the price.