Home Chat General Chat

Half marathon - in 2 weeks!!

Morning all,

I've got a bit of a dilemma. A few friends of mine are doing the wycombe half marathon in 2 weeks or so and one has pulled out. The others have asked me to do it and i've tentatively said yes as I'm planning on doing a half IM next year and would like to know how long it takes me to do the run distance fresh. I'm considering doing the f3 sprint on weds 15th july, but 1/2 marathon is on the 18th.

The furthest i've done in a race is 10k, and I have done an 8 mile run in training by accident (I ran further than i meant to and then had to go back). So, my main questions are:
a) Should I do it?
b) What's the best way to train leading up to it?
c) Should i do the sprint 3 days before?

Lastly, thanks to joolzd and scott for coming down to LL yesterday morning - that's the furthest i've swum at all, and I've never been able to do more than 600 crawl in training and did it for the whole 1900m. Cheers guys, your eally helped.

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    that's quite a step up from your furthest run of 8 miles to a half mara, how did you feel at the end of the 8? Like you could do another 5? I think if you feel confident that you can make it round without cuaising youself an injury then you should do it. Half mara is a great distance and really good fun. As for 3 days after a sprint - how long do you take to recovery from a sprint normally? I would only tend to have 3/5 days taper for a half mara and you could count the tri as a final blast as part of taper. I guess what i'm saying is - how confident are you at finishing and do you think you will be able to recover in time?
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Are you looking to win or just get round.

If its the latter then you'll be fine, do it. The step up from running 8 to 13 isnt that great, you only need a basic cardio to "get round" a half mara.........DO IT!!!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I'd reiterate both of the above. If you ran 8 miles, and felt OK, then a further 5 miles shouldn't be impossible. As to the sprint a few days before, should be OK, as long as you don'tpick up any little niggles.

Only thing I would say is that obviously your time isn't going to be as good as it could, because you won't have had time to train or fully prepare for it, but give it a go and see how you get on.
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    I didn't feel too bad, and I did it at my 10k pace as that was my only reference point, so I guess if I slow down a bit I should be able to make it round. The slowest anyone did it last year was 2:58:44, so as long as I do it faster than that i'll be happy - although probably aiming for about 2:45 really based on the amount of training i've not done for it
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    a) Yes! You can definetely finish it. Dont' worry about that really, just focus on your running now.

b) I would try and do 3 of your 8 mile runs this week, like one on monday, another quick run tuesday, 8 on wednesday, rest thursday and and 8 on friday. Next week, run again on monday, race wednesday run 10k on thursday. Race on saturday!

c) Totally do the sprint. I wouldn't go deep deep into your red zone while racing but just keep in mind that you've got a longer event in a few days and need some hardcore recovery in between.