Home Chat General Chat

Newby

Hi everyone,

Not only am I new to this forum but I'm new to triathlon too.
I've booked myself on the Newbury triathlon in September (6th) and would like some general advice on the swim leg.
It's only 300m and is in a swimming pool but I would like to know what is best to wear. (wetsuit, swim shorts etc)
I was thinking that as the swim is in a pool (outdoor), I wouldn't need to go the whole hog and wear a wetsuit and this would also save time in transition.

Thanks in advance,
Max.

Comments

• gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    The best thing to wear is a tri-suit, this can be worn for the swim, with no need to change for the bike or run leg.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Welcome to the forum! AAAARGH beaten to it again! Oh well, posting it anyway.

Regards wetsuit, definitely don't wear one in the pool. You might want to get a trisuit though or tri top and shorts. You can then wear this for the entire event. suit/shorts has small amount of padding for the cycle leg, and will dry quickly after a few minutes cycling.

Granted they're not the most flattering of garments, but 90% of the field will probably be wearing them so you won't feel such a pleb.

Oh, and you might want to join the 'Bridgtown Cona Testa Triathlon Team'... Have a read of the thread on the forum set up by the man the legend 'Conehead'. You can then pick up a branded trisuit at a discounted price!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    A tri suit is ideal, as you wear it during the swim, bike and run, and there's no need to change. However, if you're new and not too sure, then I would go with a swimming costume, and then put on shorts over them and a T shirt for the bike and run. This will take you more time, but if it's your first race, then finishing is probaby the main target. It'll also save you some expense, just in case once you;ve finished you don't like Tri, tehn nomoney wasted. However, if you don't like it you'll be the first. And if you do, best of luck, because now is when you start paying.

As to the wetsuit, it's unlikely it's required for a pool swim.
  • MaxPowerMaxPower Posts: 9
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I'll have a look into a tri-suit. I don't care how I look to be honest. I bet I've looked a lot worse in some of my 'normal' clothes.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    "I bet I've looked a lot worse in some of my 'normal' clothes". A word of warning, do not try on a Tri suit in a shop the staff will only point and laugh. Do not try on a Tri suit in front of your loved ones, they will point and laugh. Mail order was invented for Tri suits, have is delivered where no one will know what you';ve ordered, then try it on where no one can see you. Make sure the first time soemone sees you in it is when you've just got out of a very cold pool, it helps in the answering the questions when people point and laugh. You have been warned.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    TRIumphant wrote:
    "I bet I've looked a lot worse in some of my 'normal' clothes". A word of warning, do not try on a Tri suit in a shop the staff will only point and laugh.
    I disagree, the shop I went into were really helpful when I bought a tri-suit, the assistant gave me a few different ones to try on helped me get the right size (bigger than I would have bought mail order) there was no laughing about the way I looked. I would recommend going during a weekday though, as there are less customers around if your self concious.
  • MaxPowerMaxPower Posts: 9
    With those words of warning, I might have to travel quite a distance if I need to go into a shop.
    Wouldn't want to be recognised.