Home Chat General Chat

Coming last . . .

Someone's got to do it, and as long as you've had a go, and tried your best, is there any shame in it?

Comments

• Im SpartacusIm Spartacus Posts: 204
    Agreed, but NO ONE wants to come last.

I'm doing an event on Sunday that I feel may be well attended by some decent types and think that there is a real possibilty I could come last. Not overly bothered, as long as I've done my best. I can't control everyone elses performance. That said I don't want to come last.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Unless your the person doing back stroke in the swim (there's always one), you aren't going to be last.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I have a very real fear that I will be last in my first OD race. The entry is limited to about 300 and i fear that will mean 299 experienced seasoned triathletes going for an end of season win and me, um just trying to get my self round in under 3 hours...
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    That's my fear. Got my first OD, having only done pool sprints. Never ran before, so I've concentrated all my effort on running this year, so my swimming has slipped. Did a 750m OW swim last night, and it was a nightmare. Took about 18mins, so looking at around 35-40 mins for an OD swim. Only plus point is that when I do get to T1, I won't have trouble trying to locate the bike, as it'll probably be the only one there. Have t then gun it on the bike to make up lost time. Under 3 hour would be my target.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Technically you can't be last if you finish. There are always people who DNF so you'll have beaten them.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Now that's what I call a Positive Mental Attitude.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    no shame.....just finish.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Last?

You may be "last" on the competitors sheet, but you are a WINNER IN LIFE.

And I'd rather be last in a race than first to sitting on the sofa watching crap on the TV eating pooh.

didds
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    No shame in finishing last at all.....as long as you cross that line having enjoyed the experience and have given it your all then that is the achievement:)

There are no losers in triathlon as most people are out to better themselves or have a reason for participating and not 'race' against others.
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    I have the dubious honour of having done this twice. The first time was my first ever Tri - I finished last but because it was a tri set off in waves I actually did okay!! My second experience was two weeks ago I came last at Wimbleball in the UK 70.3.

It was a hard race, my nutrition plan went sideways in the first hour and I had cramp from the end of the swim until I finished - 8hrs and 20mins later...but I finished....yes I would have loved to have come in on my target time (6hrs 30mins) but that will have to wait for next time! Did coming last take the shine off it....a.bit....but I raised over £1500 and I came 81st in the swim (the only bit I am good at)

Roll on next year and IM Switzerland!!

Oh and did I get a really good cheer when I came in OH YES and I got my medal from the winner -sometimes it does pay to come last...and I agree that those who DNF'd came after me !!

Iain.
  • McKennaMcKenna Posts: 12
    it has to be my ultiamte fear but at the same time if i have tried my hardest at somthing and come last then i no there is nothing more i could have done... and then i will come back again and see if i can do better.
    am having the fear about coming last in my first OD...
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    HTFU
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    I'm doing my first 70.3 next week and this is a possibilty!

I'll need to HTFU too.

G
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Last is not the same as loser!

Losers are the fat chavs stuffing their faces with burgers and pizzas and watch straight to DVD martial arts/war films and Sky TV

When you toe that line, give it your all and drag yourself not matter how long after, across the finish line you are a winner - end of!
  • pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    i nearly came last at the liquid leisure swim last thursday, second from last actually.

do i care? do i heck!

reason, it was a personal victory for me, it was my first OW swim.

As me nan used to say "it's the taking part that counts!!!"

PS i also met Johinio and Jules...jolly nice people, oh and some bloke called stannard?
  • RockieRockie Posts: 40
    I came in last in the only triathlon I've done so far. There were 11 competitors in all in the sprint, 10 of them experienced, so no DNFs. I finished in under 90 minutes which is better I'm sure than 99% of the population could manage, so no shame in it.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    combatdwarf wrote:
    It was a hard race, my nutrition plan went sideways in the first hour and I had cramp from the end of the swim until I finished - 8hrs and 20mins later...but I finished....
    Errr... that's not coming "last". That's not a "failure". That is heroism and strength beyond that call of duty. To carry on, when it would have been so easy, and completely understandable, to DNF. You carried on, didn't let anyone who sponsored you down, and you certainly didn't let yourself down - justly bringing home all that loot for your charity. A great effort, and a tremendous learning experience.

Behind every result there is a story, and, to be honest, the story behind those that come last is usually a far better tale than those that come first!

Seriously well done for that.
    I bet you don't come 'last' next time you do it.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Yep,been there, personally couldn't give a stuff what anyone else thinks,
    You get value for money, some of the loudest cheers of the day.it is
    All a learning curve,enjoyment and personal fullfilment.there is no
    Shame or embarressment,if you think about your race time more than
    Your position in the results,it could come down to who turns up on
    the day.There is always a first and a last,or some one quite big said
    The Alpha and the Omega.
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Thanks all for the comments

I guess when I finished I was elated to get over the line. After about a day I was gutted about coming in last especially as some of my friends came in around the time I was hoping too! but after a couple of weeks and having decided to go on and go long next year I agree it was a learning experience...I know where I made mistakes and I know what I would change next time!!

I.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    set a target - have a plan B - so beating OH went out the window - be under 1hr 50 - success - was prepared to crawl if necessary - don't do heat - no such thing as last in Wales - if there are 300 competitirs you came 300th and you never mention how many others were competeing
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    moonshine wrote:
    ...no such thing as last in Wales...
    yeah, if I tried to write it, it would probably mutate into some like "egg" or "clown" or something. [Chuckles slightly madly to self and goes off to watch re-runs of Pobol y Cym]
  • My wife finally got bored of me going off to triathlons and decided to do one herself - priority was completing it, not racing it. It was a small field (60) and she came in last, but got by far the biggest cheer of the day - all the competitors were lined up at the finish. She also got a cup for the "achiever award", which was comfortably bigger than the one I got for 2nd in my age group, so she was both a winner and an achiever. She's definitely got the bug now - on the plus side, this should gain me far more sympathy and also a training partner. On the minus side, we'll both be bankrupting us with new kit, and I'll have to take my turn doing the babysitting while she goes out for a run...
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    I nearly came last at the Dualathlon I did in March! It was my first 10k ever and first 40k bike ride in a while and then another 5k..however I was determined to finish despite nearly throwing my bike in a hedge at one point with pure frustration that I couldn't go faster & limping over the finish line.... I may well have been in the bottom 10 or so but for me a massive massive achievement so I took all the positives from that experience and it made me more determined to do better!!
    PS i also met Johinio and Jules...jolly nice people, oh and some bloke called stannard?
    ....at least you did the race Pat...I whimped out as you know! Next time though I'm gonna give the 1500m a go for sure & then I will definitely be last!!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    My attitude is this: "Did you leave everything you have out there on that course??" If the answer is yes, you are a winner.

Few of us can aspire to win a race. The only person you really have to beat is yourself. Exceed your own expectations and you'll gain a jump in self-respect and self-belief from it.

From a timing point of view, there's no 'last' until they have all the entries in and have adjusted for start times, penalties etc. The last guys to cross the line get the biggest cheers, the most pats on the back and the most encouragement out of anybody.

Anyway, for even getting out to the start line in a reasonably trained condition you are already putting yourself in.. what?,,, the top 0.5% of the population in terms of fitness, motivation and attitude.

There's no last place at ANY sporting event. Last place is the slob on the sofa saying how he could do that easily if he'd done some training.

Oh... I was within about a dozen places from last at the Weymouth 70.3. I'd love to hear somewbody tell me that I'm a loser. Ha ha ha!
    There's no last place at ANY sporting event. Last place is the slob on the sofa saying how he could do that easily if he'd done some training.
    Never has a truer word been spoken. Someone told me about a friend recently whose husband is doing his first tri. You know what she said? "I could probably do a triathlon, but i can't be bothered". My blood is boiling just typing it.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    by Mowf » 30 Jun 2009 08:13

Never has a truer word been spoken. Someone told me about a friend recently whose husband is doing his first tri. You know what she said? "I could probably do a triathlon, but i can't be bothered". My blood is boiling just typing it.
    I think the correct response to that is if you think you can do it get of your fat/lazy/whatever arse and try it... can't be bothered - rubbish, unless of course she happens to be someone like vicky pendleton...it's not is it? as she can do no wrong in my eyes and that would shatter my dreams, tell me it wasn't her!!!!
  • Not competing or even training for it at all - that's loosing. How many people get home from work and sit on the sofa eating cack food, getting fat.
    You get out training and put in the hard effort it takes to be a triathlete. It's not easy doing that every week. Don't worry about arriving last. Enjoy it and pat yourself on the back for all your hard work.
  • Im SpartacusIm Spartacus Posts: 204
    Well thanks a lot, al the positivity on this thread has promted me to enter the 3.8k Aquasphere swim at Dorney. Not only have I not swum more than 1600m before, if I do manage to do the distance, based on my current times and last years reults, I will be last.

This is a case of complete rather than compete, this time last year I couldn't manage 400m in a pool. I just hope I can maintain my positivity on the day.