Home Chat General Chat

Basic Tri kit

Im about to drop a wiggle order for my kit, can you wear a Tshirt/vest and shorts or do you have to wear a tri suit for normal tri's?

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Coma,

As your doing Strathclyde, then I'd def recommed a tri-suit for underneath the wet-suit.

You'll spend far too much time changing otherwise. I picked up one from Wiggle from £60
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Utlimately, you can wear what you like. However, the easiest is a Tri suit, as you don't need to chaneg ar add any clothing during transition. Straight from the pool (assumings it's a pool, otherwise wear it under your wetsuit) onto bike (lightly padded for a bit of comfort) and then straight into run. It dries pretty quickly, depending on your speed and the weather. Other option aother than a full Tri suit is tri shorts and a Tri vest (that match if to want), some prefer this over a Tri suit. Personally I prefer a suit as you don;t get any mid rift exposed.
  • Id rather wear shorts and a T than the tri suit. More for how often im gonna use it...Id never use the tri suit unless i was in a race...

I was just concerned about being disqualified...i know theres a no nudity rule after all and i dont wanna run about in a T shirt stinking of bog water....
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Speedo's and a running vest.Worn under the wetsuit.A T shirt may get too heavy with water or a bugger to put on in T1 when you are dripping wet.All you really need is a race belt for your number,it is not neccessary but it makes it alot easier.No need for tri suits if you don't want the expense.
  • speedos?....like banana hammocks?

...can you run in those tight swimming trunks?
    Yes,no reason why not.I used to.Might need abit of vaseline to prevent friction against the saddle,and a slight lack of padding,but for short course races it shouldn't cause too much hassle.Beyond middle distance a switched over to longer shorts.If you feel slightly embarressed by running in 'banana hammocks',just wear standard running shorts instead.Pickup any tri mag from the late 80's early 90's and see the lovely flourescent speedos that the competitors wore,even upto IM distance.
  • the 90s were terrible man....just google nirvana or 2 unlimited....

I might just go it in my swimmies...they are black anyway
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I can't believe you lumped Nirvana in with 2Unlimited

Bleach is a great album.
  • the 80s were great...van halen...aerosmith...thunder....then kurt kostupid came along and ruined everyone with his brand of melodrama and being depressed whilst living in a 1st world country....

If he didnt kill himself, someone else would have for sure.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    derailed already....
    Ah well if we're going back to the 80's then I'd have to go with early Metallica, Slayer and Voivod....ahhh happy days

(sorry for derailing the thread!)
    How can you put Nirvana and 2 unlimited in the same sentance.I am sure something good did come out of the 90's,death of flourescent swimming trunks maybe.
    But if your comfortable wearing swimmies then thats fine,I don't think the race is a fashion catwalk.

Thread certainly not derailed,not with Spinal tap reformong.
    Coma... MMM.Van Halen are we talking pre or post 86.
    To atone for my part in taking it offrail here's my tuppence.

If you're planning on wearing swim trunks you haven't done much running / biking in before definitely use some sort of lubricant in any areas they may chafe. I wore old style running shorts on a half mara distance run and the inner certainly chafed towards the end.
  • I love all van halen jon!

Particularly Dreams and Panama though, they are my favourites, having serious trouble diggin up more of their stuff though. Speaking of which, go here, great song! great new band!

http://www.thingsmyfathersaid.net

Well i think i might run in my swimmers, do you get penelised for being topless in transition?
    No,shouldn't be a problem with you putting your vest/shirt on in T1 after the swim,it is just the no total nudity clause that worries alot of people.There was a thread a year or so regarding this.But you should be safe in swimmies.Some refs do enforce the athletes shall be wearing a top when crossing the finish line rule.At St.Polten this year,one of the rules was that the tri top zip should be not open further down than the chest bone,but due to the hot weather they turned a blind eye to that one.
    regarding VH,some get a little adjittated whether Dave Lee is better than Sammy H.
  • Gives the band a different sound, both are good..its like Di'anno and Dickenson in Iron Maiden. both were good...The other guy was good too but the music went kinda crappy when he was frontman so I never Liked Iron Maidens midlife stuff.
    To put this thread more off the rails regarding 70's/80's music.Whole argument regarding R.J.Dio and BS etc not withstanding,always a big admirer of Richie Blackmore,and he took a huge diversion from rock when he started Blackmore's Knight,some of their cover versions are stunningly brilliant.
  • Had tri-suits been readily available in the 80's I'm sure they'd have made many appearances on rock stages the world round. I think a big white pair of Hi-Tec tri boots would round off the image nicely. a la Megadeth.
  • ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    Journey: Don't Stop Believing... great for when you're thinking why oh why....
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    I'm sure Nena Cherry adopted the tri-suit in 89 when she sang buffalo stance and salt n pepa with Push it
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Speedos and run vest OK, then shorts on for run but I don't think I would want to chance an OD in speedos and really would suggest either tri suit or tri shorts and running vest or tri tri top. Problem is you would pay almost as much for the shorts as for a suit. Don't have any spare - sorry