Home Chat General Chat

Sports Massage - how far out from a race?

Question's in the title really. What's the consensus?

Comments

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i've only ever had one sports massage and that was after the london marathon, personally i wouldnt bother again as i dont think it helped recovery time at all! but then i might just have had a rubbish masseur!
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I concur with coneheads answer...... then have at least one a week at all other times:) if funds allow....
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    I too agree with Conehead, I like to try and get a deep muscle sports massage on my legs - I lay off training for a day after, then on the second day after a hard bike ride, my run off the bike feels like I have a new pair of legs on.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Ow ow ow! I was told not to expect candles and soft music, but no-one said it would actually hurt
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    oh it does....but it's worth it! i pulled a muscle in my back and got that looked at...hurt for about two weeks and now its fab and back to normal...it was well worth it...no pain, no gain they say
  • Sports massage is a type of massage designed to help athletes prepare for and recover from physical activity. It usually involves a combination of techniques such as deep tissue massage, stretching and trigger point therapy to help relieve muscle tension and improve circulation. For a better massage and feel, use massage oils, which you can find here.

Many athletes find that sports massage before competitions helps them feel more relaxed and prepared. By relieving muscle tension, sports massage helps improve flexibility and range of motion, which is especially helpful for athletes who need to move quickly and accurately. In addition, sports massage can help reduce the risk of injury by improving blood circulation and reducing muscle soreness and inflammation.

• the london marathon!! personally i wouldnt bother again as i dont think it helped recovery time at all, Full Matches And Shows