Home Chat General Chat

If you had £1300 to spend...

Well... I don't actually have that much to spend but I desperately need a new road bike after mine was nicked a week ago. Doing the London hence the urgency.

Can't seem to get much selection in my size and it would seem my options (at least, that I can test) are limited to:

1. Felt F75....... £949 ... Shimano 105
2. Scott Speedster S30..... £900... Shimano Ultegra
3. Felt Z45.... £1300 plus some free stuff ... CARBON frame and Shimano Tiagra

I'm tending towards the Z45 at the mo. My thoughts are that I really enjoyed the carbon frame (and it looks really good) but then the components are not as good as the others which are alot cheaper... and I'm broke...

Tis is my first tri season but I expect there to be many more....

So, would you?

Comments

• ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    [img:3iwcrk17]http://www.bikesale.com/images/products/detail/feltZ45.png[/img:3iwcrk17]
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i like the look of the Z45, it is very nice.
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Give Mike at Bridgtown bikes a call and see what he's got. He'll also make sure it fits perfectly for what you want it for. He's found me a gem of a frame for not too much money. I'm sure he'll be able to do something for you

JB
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    None of the above. Sorry.
    My money would be going to PlanetX, Focus, Kiron or Boardman in that order.
    Thanks gfh - that's another one on the shortlist!!!

I did call Bridgtown earlier this morning - it seems they have a couple of options however I'm not realistcally gonna be able to get to the midlands before the weekend at best. And have i mentioned I'm desperate????

New short list: Focus Cayo 105 Triple vs Felt Z45 Compact

I like the look and sound of the Focus Cayo but am not sure where I can try it out... Still leaning towards the Z45 as it is literally down the road, I've tried it out and liked it and I could pick it up this afternoon... But Tiagra vs 105? And the Focus has such rave reviews...

Sorry am rambling...
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Get yourself to Halfords and beg them to let you take a Boardman Team Carbon out for a test ride.
    A mate has one and for the price it is a superb bike. You'd even have money left over to buy a good set of wheels.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Get to Bridgetown mate.

Seriously - you'll regret it if you don;t. Mike is building me a bike and I tell you he knows more than he should about bikes.

He asked me about my current bike ( spec allez elite), it's size and then proceeded to tell me how wrong it was for me. LOL

told me I'd get lumbar back pain after x amount of miles and pain here and there ( very very subtle pain mind you - nothing that would stop you getting on it for a long ride). He knew all that from just talking to me.

Sized me up in 15 mins flat for this build and I'm eagerly awaiting the results.

Get there or be square.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    105 is a much better groupset than Tiagra, but probably better to invest in a better frame then upgrade the set than going for a better set on a worse frame...
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Blimey. I'd be expecting something better than Tiagra for £1300. It might be a nice frame/fork combo, but that won't do you much good when your cogs break...

Actually, I've not heard anything untoward about reliability of Tiagra. I've got it on my old bike and the only problem I ever had was that the 9 ratios had a few odd gaps, and I never had just the right cog for a 34kmh cruising speed.

Its a personal thing. Go try some bikes, but on a quick look that Felt is a lot of cash for what it is.

On behalf of Treefrog can I suggest a Cannondale CAAD9. Great frame, really great frame. You should be able to get an Ultegra build and still have nearly enough left over for some Planet-X wheels. OTOH, go for a complete TT bike from those nice P-X people. Might be an issue with getting hold of it in time, though.

There's another thought: instead of just buying something because it has quick deliver, could you hire a bike instead, then get something at your leisure after your big race?
    Bopomofo wrote:
    ...instead of just buying something because it has quick deliver...
    Guess I really needed to hear that - thanks...

So plan B:
    - Get hold of a bike to carry on training. Looks like I might be able to borrow a hybrid... yay
    - Continue search and education at a leisurely pace and make sure that I'm really happy with all specs...
    - Look into renting a bike for the race. After 4 weeks on a hybrid I guess I'll fly on a road bike!!!

I honestly feel so much less stressed out - buying a new bike should be fun not a chore, surely!!!

Thanks guys!