Home Chat General Chat

tired - rest or reduce?

Haven't lost motivation just knackered.

So - do you think its best to have a week off or just reduce the training for say the next couple of weeks.

No training vs. reduced training for a longer time?

Got 1st OD in 11 weeks.

Don't think it's overtraining just tired

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Rest,

you got plenty time to train. Better to be 1% undertrained than 10% overtrained.

On one of my sprints I was feeling like, posted a similar thread. Took a week off and hit a PB!!

Not saying that will happen but the benefits from resting properly are well documented on the forum
  • tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    Likewise! Knackerrrreeed!! Even sneaked a nap in the car at lunch!

I've got first OD in a week and a half and am seriously lacking motivation!

I got a heavy cold just before FGS sprint at Dorney lake on the 28th June, but competed anyway and still don't think I've fully recovered, but due to time I can't afford to rest up much! Doh!

Wishing you a speedy return to full steam!
  • I donno conehead i went to judo last night and i feel like i spent all night being dropped hard on an inaquetly soft surface

Take some time off, i know how you feel but you got to be aware that recovery is training as much as training is...just dont be recovering for 2 weeks infront of the telly eating chinese food...
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    i kind of ruined "the rest thing" by doing a swim/run brick this eve.

THink i'll have a few days off and come back revitalised!!

God know how i'm going to feel when going for 70.3 next year.....
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    I've found that simply taking a few days off also switches the body off especially when tapering for a race.

Instead have an easy week. Just halve the volume of each session you would normally do & take an odd day off. Focus more on technique rather than power & speed.

During the rest of the season make every third or fourth week an easy week. Write it in your diary & stick to it. If every third week I'll reduce that weeks volume by a third, if every fourth week then by half. The bounce back is always a great motivator.

Remember: Training makes you tired, recovering makes you fit.