Home Chat General Chat

Sprint Event for Aug/Sept

Hi All,

Due to feeling pretty low at the mo, I have decided to abandon my first OD tri which was going to be on the 19th of this month as I am just not ready for it, and haven't been able to squeeze in the necessary training recently.

I am looking for a sprint event at the end of August/beginning of Septemeber this year around the South coast, I live in West Sussex, or something at Dorney Lake? Any suggestion? Thank you

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Have you cancelled the OD yet?

What does "haven't been able to squeeze in the necessary training recently" actually equate to?

I'd be tempted to just do what you can fit in and do it anyway. Treat it as a training excercise, don't worry about the time. Then you can smash your PB next year!

Sprints down south? Can't help you from ooop north. Tatton Park (20th September) is meant to be good but presumably is far too far north for you.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    you know what we're all going to say don't you...

Do the OD!

That's not helping is it.
  • tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    Haha! I was worried about the responses as soon as I clicked 'submit'!

My issues are that the course is very hilly, very hilly! and I have done NO hill work! rubbish, I know. and also I have yet to run over 5km in training or in a race! Due to having a heaving a cold since before the FGS sprint last week I have felt totally poo!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    well i think eton super sprints happen often.....thats dorney lake i think, again i'm up t' north...so Tatton park is the one i'm doing in sept also......but i reckon you chuck in a few race distance discipline training sessions (ie. swim a mile one day, run 10k the next) and then all you've got to do is put it together on the day....and adrenaline will see you to the finish.
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    There are a couple of events at Dorney lake at the end of August: go to the f3 events website and click on "triathlon". Think I'll probably do the orca big south sprint which is happening there on the twenty something of august.

JB
  • ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    Was looking at this the other day:

http://www.fun2tri.co.uk/Southcoast-new/index.htm

15 August. OD and Sprints. I think there's availability still...
  • steviedonssteviedons Posts: 10
    Theres a sprint Tri at the K2 leisure centre organised by the Crawley tri club on the 27-Sep-09(Sun), no idea if it will be any good but will probably entering it as the last race of the year.
  • tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    Thanks for all responses. Dont know if to do another one at Dorney as know set up now, or go for a change of scenery.

Anyone done Brighton Marina Triathlon? 1km swim, 32 km bike and 8km run? 20th September. Looks ok...
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    OD?
    Do it!
    If nothing else, think of it as 'Complete Not Complete'!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    do the OD and use it as a yardstick for other OD events in the future. If you can do a sprint then you can do an OD.

Go on do it!!!
  • starcherstarcher Posts: 126
    hey,
    I did the fun2tri southcoast tri at Seaford last year was a nice little race well organised and all on closed roads. My only complaint was the ride was a bit like riding around a track just up and down sea front dead flat very quick.

Mat
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Ey, tomtris, i have my first OD on sunday, don't feel ready for it really but no sense putting it off.

gonna give it a bash and enjoy myself anyway. i'm dreading it and excited about it all at the same time. Thought about crying off but then imagined myself watching my mate G-man do it and realised i would have felt jealous of him! every experience is valuable in some way and you'd regret not doing it, i'm sure.

once completed, like the boys said, you've lost your cherry and its time to start improving on times. until then, i fully intend to bumble around and remember to thank all the marshalls, smile at traffic (and kick arse on the swim, my only outstanding discipline!!)

So in surmation......doitdoitdoitdoit