Home Chat General Chat

700c vs 650c

nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
Just thinking about bikes and sizes etc and the (probably silly) idea popped into my mind of a bike with a 700c back wheel and a 650c front wheel...
Aside from looking like a dragster and the need to swap out the forks, anybody think of a reason why this could be a bad move? it might get you into a really aggressive aero position, you could use a larger frame than you otherwise might if you have short legs and a long body, and it would give you an amazing seat angle too!
Just a thought!

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    This setup used to be quite popular back in the late 80's early 90's.The 650 set up for both wheels was great for the smaller athlete,and putting the 700 on the back allowed the taller athletes to take advantage of the reduced rolling resistance.The last guy I new who used this setup,was using up till a couple of years ago,but I have not seen anyone since.
    It probably went out of vogue due to it being slightly more expensive,and the 650 components not being as readily available,but with the advent of the interweb sourcing cheaper parts has never been easier so you could be starting a retro trend.
    Disadvantage is that you have to carry two different size tubs/inners incase of punctures etc.
  • tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dave-Hinde-Low-Pr ... 2|294%3A50

Just up your street nivagh! Retro style.....
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Heh... looking at the headtube angle, that bike's actually *meant* to be like that!

I like the "bad back, bad knee and old age..." as the reason for sale. Can't see anybody paying a grand for a steel frame nowadays though!
  • tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    Yeah hilarious aye! I can't imagine that being £1000 new! Jeez....

Bad back, knees, etc is hardly a good advertisment for it is it?! Haha, no bid from you then?
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Not one over £250, no.
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    it looks like some scallywag has removed the front wheel and all the owner could find was a 5 year olds bike i'm almost laughing so much it hurts! but if it works then go for it (not the steel jobby though - £250!!!)