Home Chat General Chat

Do we have any diabetics in the house?

BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
I have been working with a guy tonight who is diabetic & has had the ususal advice from his doctor/websites etc about exercise. But was asking about more of a performance aspect, he isn't about to take up tri (Well I have not converted him yet),but he is a keen paintballer but has curtailed recently due to fatigue, so is looking to get back to his former self, any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    hi britspin...

I was diagnosed diabetes type 2 in 2006, and placed on 2 x 500 mg metformin a day.

Got the lecture about diet and exercise, but my diet was actually pretty reasonable at the time 9and had been for a while) - lots of fresh fruit and veg, and we cooked usuallt from scratch, very little processed foodstuffs etc.

We had just joined a gym as a family and I just started to swim and gym regularly, with a gym program from an instructress. Nothing grand at all... swam maybe twice a week and gym maybe another two or three times. each gym session (CV based) maybe 45-70 minutes a time.

The weight (the clincher of course) started to drop off (in the end 5 stones plus), and within about 18 months I could come off the metformin. I had become pretty obsessed by that juncture, but the gu0ym work was what did it for me, and before I became an 8 visits a week gym bunny. The rest for me is history as my mild OCD cut in, but for your mate, it could be as little as three or four hours a week in some sort of CV activity but I guess professional advice is always useful. That said, if he is committed enough (and I don;t mean anything like the levels that us lot go to) then with a little advice form yourself as a starter he wouldn't need to spalsh the cash to join a gym etc, as long as he cold do some low level CV. Doctor's approval etc I imagine.

If you want to PM me I can provide some more inside info etc. - and would be happy to do so.

cheers

didds
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    A little more info required mate.

Type I or type II ( ie insulin controlled - type- mix for example and how many times a day etc, or tablet controlled - metaformin is pretty common - or diet controlled)

Does he have a diabetic nurse.

How old, how has he come by diabetes ? Family history, poor diet, any other history - hypertension etc

As you can see it can get pretty complicated - All I can offer him is some advice. Go and fuind a sports diabetic nurse - I know Steve Redgrave had one and he was a 5 time olympian.

There is no reason why he can't slowly gain some energy to run about a bit.

Wish him luck
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    I've not got personal experience of the condition, but I am the production editor for a diabetes nursing journal, managing editor for a diabetes journal for consultants and sub editor on a diabetes journal for GPs and one for podiatrists.

If you post up a bit more info regarding his condition, i.e. if he's on anything and what his actual diet is like (if he's been honest with you) and exactly what you want to know then i'll put it to my various editorial boards and see what they think and what advice they would give you. I've got an issue going to press next week so should have a good consensus in 2 weeks or so if you can wait that long?

JB
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Wow, so much help & info already.
    He is late 20s, non obese 'genetic' diabetes...father had, brother had since small, but Gavin has only become in the last 12 months.
    I have not got the low down on his drug regime & last nights discussion about diet sounds as though he has cleaned it up & is avoiding junk etc & he wants to drop a few pounds, although he is not sure how much he weighs now or how much he wants to loose, & as I personally don't like to encourage a weight fixation..jumping on & off scales & depressing yourself...we didn't go to far into it, it really isn't an issue he is not at all fat.
    He really wants to be a bit more normal & not lacking in energy after a relatively small amount of exertion...that said he is currently coping with 2/3 gym sessions per week for 40 mins to an hour, mostly cardio, some weights.
    I shall speak more to him later & get some more info, there is no rush, so two weeks is fine, once I get more info.
    Thanks again.
    Right, Have caught up with the chap concerned at last; He is type 1 injecting insulin.
    Four times per day, Novarapid 3 times, 1 x antus at night.
    Diet: cereal (cheerios were mentioned) breakfast, stewpot (?) for lunch, salad & some protein/meat & wholemeal bread for dinner. Snacks inbetween, fruit, lucozade &/or glucose tabs before & during workouts to keep an even sugar level.
    Hope this helps...anything else ask away.
    Thanks.
    Bumping this one as he is nagging me....
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I've known keen cyclists, marathon runners who are type I diabetics, and are able to compete well.

It's a condition that requires no-one but the owner to manage it (at least, once they are adults). And management is key. i.e. they are responsible for their condition, not you.

They may well need to eat something before they do exercise (relatively precisely)... and so keeping to a schedule is important. Other than that, and being aware of what to do if something goes wrong (whether how to inject, giving them something to eat/drink,or who to call) I would say that the onus is on them. You will need to make clear what the programme is - i.e. how hard it will be, and what stages. And just go a bit carefully until you get used to it.

They should have enough info of their own condition, and be able to consult with professionals to advise them.

Generally, things should be OK - and, if they eat, drink correctly, you shouldn't notice a difference between them and someone with similar ability without the condition.

Obviously, it is worth checking your personal/professional/work liability insurance beforehand .

Caveat: What do I know?
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Is he eating a sensible amount of carbohydrate before doing the exercise? I'm not sure of exact amounts as it depends on type of exercise, duration, etc. It's really a chat he should have with his doctor/diabetes nurse. He needs to have an appropriate amount of carbohydrate in order to prevent him from becoming hypoglycaemic during exercise, but I guess he should know this?? As I've said previously I'm not a health professional, and any changes in what he is doing should be discussed beforehand with either his doctor or diabetes nurse