Home Chat General Chat

Running Ban

My Physio has told me to stop running due to a back injury I sustained in a car accident back in May

He has given me the green light for cycling & swimming though

I know that cycling can compensate for my run training, but how much extra should I plan to do

Should I replace my run sessions with spin sessions or on the road sessions, I usually did 2 x 10km runs each week.

I have 2 more Sprints to do this year (Jul & Sept), and I don't intend on missing them, but I want to stay off the running as advised prior to these events.

Any advice..

Comments

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    You didn't mention how much cycling you're doing at the moment. When I couldn't run I just upped the number of cycles & swims I was doing so I was still doing something probably six-ish times a week.

It's always upsetting to be banned from one of the elements but it can be a good opportunity to work on your skills in your cycling & running. Trying to look on the bright side!
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Hey Gavin, That stinks - hope you aren't in too much discomfort with it.

I'd like some advice on this one too - I can't run either for a similar reason, except my back injury results from a trampolining accident at age 8.

I'm hoping I can run on race day and not do too much damage but is it feasible to rely on swimming, cycling and walking very fast to keep the fitness up?

I really like running but it hurts too much both physically and in the wallet to do it regularly
  • Hi Gavin,

I went through a similar ban earlier in the year after damaging my ankle..

did the physio say anything about not being able to use the cross trainer and elipicial trainer? I found when I couldn't run this help maintian a little bit of running fitness..

Scotty
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Maybe it's aquajogger time? If you think it looks stupid, just remember we run aroudn the countryside in lycra
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    The injury is more of a pain in the ass than a major pain, it's mainly when I get up from a lying position or bending forward, it does'nt prevent me from running as I have been running weekly since the accident, its more a case of it will never get better until I lay off the running.

I currently cycle about 2 road sessions per week (40km) and 2 turbo trainer sessions (1hr).

No mention of the cross-trainer in the consultation, I will have to check up on that one.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    There's a good article in this month's Triathlete's World (Aug) about the best types of cross-training to do when you want to lay off the running. Pages 37-40 if you can get a copy.
    Best of luck.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Gavin as suggested if you can use the cross trainer then you really should. It is a fantastic way of keeping your run fitness up without the impact/injuries. When i did the great south run last year, i injured my calf and couldn't run much, so i did one road run per week, and the rest on the xtrainer. It is brilliant for a temporary replacement, much better than a tredmill (IMO) as you can use it in different ways either high cadence low resistence, or high resistence, intervals etc. All really good, and if used properly may also help with arm and back strength!

if you can't use it tho...they're a bit crap
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    Had a few injures and off running a couple of times with knee and shin splint problems. Different injuries to yours I know but I was amazed at how much spinning and rowing kept my fitness up. Tho with a bad back my guess is rowing is out. On the spin bike I mixed up intervals to get heart rate up to comparible levels to running (so sprints and out of seat climbing etc.). On the silver lining side, I found that working myself back up to fitness can actually be enjoyable as you notice bigger improvements. Good time to work on swimming too