Home Chat General Chat

Whose idea was this

OMG...whose idea was triathlon...i've only done one and i'm f*cking Broke!!!!!!

and now i cant afford a new wetsuit, or the BCTTT tri suit...or new pedals, or a new bike

I HATE YOU ALL!!!!

i'm getting divorced......probably...if this carries on

Comments

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    dont worry mate.

You can kip down in my spare room.

Without a wife you can train more.
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Perhaps the forum should start one of those benevolent funds that helps look after waif and stray triathletes who've been kicked out of the family home. It could provide them with necessities like soreen, compression socks, entry fees that sort of thing.

It'll stop them wandering the streets with hand scribbled cardboard signs saying "Spare change for carbon??"
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    sign me up as a waif and stray

all proceeds to andyb99 c/o BCTTT.....northern monkey, WS division.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    and it need not cost you to much.

I swear this is true

At my last try after when were having a coffee, we were sat around discussing the lovely bike and how much people spend on them.

I had bought mine for 700 quid last year, and my mate had only paid 100 quid for his, we were saying how some of the bikes on show were worth THOUSANDS,

An older gent sat at the next table piped up and said that his bike was free as he got it from the tip, to which is mate replied thats nothing he then told us that a few years ago he was paid to go and collect some stuff from someone house/garden, in said garden were two bikes which he was supposed to dispose of instead he kept them and made one good bike, good enough for tri, he had done almost 20.

To which i told him, if you were paid to collect the bikes, that would make you a sponsored rider, he quite liked the idea.

the point being, unless your actually in with a shout of winning, stick with the cheap ass stuff, and save your marriage, its got more benefits.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    jelly is right, this can be done on a budget!

bike was bought under the cyclescheme and cost 650, does me fine although like everyone i'm guilty of carbon envy!

tri bars - 25quid second hand off a forum. same for the spd-sl pedals, cleats and shoes (35 all in, shoes had been worn a few times, pedals still boxed).

i think the only bit of tri-kit i have paid full price for is some sugoi shorts. my tritop was an old stock (poss 90s) that was a fiver. i have some ridiculous trishorts that were a fiver - shocking colours but fine for my first event with some running shorts over in t1.

my running shoes i bought a few years ago for a half i was unable to enter. they were 80quid, so perhaps that was a proper full price purchase.

i'm going to see what's out there in bargainated wetsuits in the off season!
  • trudgertrudger Posts: 61
    It can definatly be done on a budget,

Bike - Raleigh Arilite (So V cheap)
    Shoes - Aldi £15
    Bike Computer - Aldi £5
    Tri top - End of season sale £10
    Bike Top - Ebay 99p (I've got loads of them at this price)
    Wheel Bag - Ebay £3.50 (for 2)
    Bike winter coat - Wiggle sale (Altura Nevis) - £20
    Running Shoes - Local running store sale - £45.

Biggest saving - NOT Entering Windsor, Blenhiem or London. But supporting your local club races which cost about 50% the entrance cost of the big events.

Of course this was before I blew all of this years budget on some nice new BCTTT kit.
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    my 1st bike cost me £15 from adtrader and came with 4 different saddles, 3 different types of pedal and a pump! did a few sprint and olympic distance on it (put some new tyres on and got some toe clips) then got a bike on cyclescheme last year (£500). my most expensive bit was the wetsuit (£130)!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    no you're wrong...it cant be done on a budget...cause i might not need all the fancy gear but i sure as hell want it...and not even cause i want to be faster....just cause i want it