Home Chat General Chat

Ladies question-training/racing that time of the month

Reading the 'where have all the women gone' tread i though i'd ask this: I have something on every weekend for the summer so will have to race during 'that time of the month' any advice girls?

Comments

• joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    I would suggest lots of chocolate and extra vitamins and energy stuff & men...well just get out the way!!!
  • ewww ewwww eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ewwww ewwww Shadow delete this thread
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    if you have a sensible GP and you explain that you're a super athlete there are options to avoid that time of the month - patches and no week off works, as does norethisterone 5mg three times a day - wouldn't suggest it as a yearly cover programme but for a couple of months works fine as long as you don't have anu contraindications to hormone therapy, pill etc

and there is nothing yuckky about this thread
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Ditto Moonshine. Being on the blob is so 2008!

Seriously though, it's a decision that only you can make. But there are ways to avoid it if it's likely to interfere with your racing (let's face it, it's just another thing to worry about!).
  • ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    BUT also watch out for unwanted side effects that taking medication might have: bloating and swollen / sore breasts for example...
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    And if for some reason like me you can't take hormones (damn and blast) I guess it is just a question of seeing how you feel day to day and taking it easier if need be and of course making sure you eat properly. Keeping an eye on your resting heart rate might help.
  • Thanks girls (and guys!)

Can't do the hormone thing as i cant take the pill without having preety much all of the listed side effects.

Don't really wear a HRM but does it have an effect on this durhamvam?

Have had to wear two bras running training a while back during a serious case of PMS.

Did think that with all the training things mite got easier but it seems the more i train the more regular it gets (from 30ish days to 26!)

Chocolate seems to help though!
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    I'm not sure if time of the month has an effect on resting HR as such, because although I know I should monitor it I've got kind of lazy - perhaps I should have a look for the next few weeks - but certainly if it were 5-10 bpm higher that would be an indication if you were too tired/had over trained and should take it easy or have a recovery day.

I suppose that we all know really when we're tired but having it down in cold numbers makes it easier to admit/feel less guilty about putting your feet up

You have my sympathies with the hormone thing - I loved it until the combined pill nearly killed me and anything else just has unbearable side effects

Otherwise bring on the mammoth chocolate/cake habit!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    if hormones not an option then its chocolate all the way
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    by comanighttrain » 08 Jul 2009 21:05

ewww ewwww eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ewwww ewwww Shadow delete this thread
    Yes in terms of keeping men safe from such things. I reckon this thread should be banished....
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    But then we men are fragile creatures wrapped up in bone and muscle
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Again, i think i am missing a female gene or something because i have no PMT and never have. I SAID NONE, DAMMIT! lol

in all seriousness, it has never affected me. see, jammy. that's me.
  • and thats why we are to wed, jess
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    to wed? have you been reading jane austen, coma?
  • Good post, I was thinking about it myself! If it is any consolation all this training has made mine closer together as well and much worse. Totally wipes me out for two days. I eat lots of red meat and take iron supplements, helps a little. I can't even swim over those two days it is so bad. With any luck at all I'll be over the worst by London but knowing me it will be later and I'll have to dive into a bush somewhere to sort things out. Men, you are so lucky you don't have this logistical and physical nightmare!
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Evening Primrose Oil is a really good supplement for those of you unlucky enough to suffer from 'Knife Between The Shoulder Blades' syndrome. It really does help to sort he symptons of PMS and heavy blob, only problem is that it takes around a month to get into the system.

But as an investment for next year......