Home Chat General Chat

Reflectors on race bikes

Stupid question but my race bike didn't come with reflectors - is this the norm and are they required for the bike to be considered road worthy by race marshals? I'm thinking of fitting them just be on the safe side. Besides it'll be the only bit of red on my bike so by default must be a speed inducing upgrade

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Yep

Don't worry no reflectors required - although on my first tri my Halfords £60 steel mtb with chunky tyres had spoke reflectors as well!
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    Good stuff, thanks. got a race on sat so thought I'd better check before a grumpy marshal decided to cheer himself up
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    You'll need a bell too!*

*Actually, my aged father has a photo of himself racing in his prime, a bit after WWII (late '40s, early '50s) and his bike _does_ actually have a bell on it! 62 minutes for a 25 - with a bell!!!
    I'll ditch the reflector, get a bell with a carbon bracket and paint it red... Surely that's a recipe for winning the bike leg
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Come to think of it those fine people at Wiggle did enclose the statutory bell and reflector flat pedals with my Izalco Tria. Bell a bit weedy - get better results by shouting at myopic drivers
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Wiggle did enclose the statutory bell and reflector flat pedals

ISTR that such items are strictly speaking legal requirements for you to ride on the public highway. Pedals typically AIUI come from abroad so sellers in the Uk chuck these reflective things in with fitting instructions in the knoweldge that they have covered themselves and nobody ever fits them!

I have a funny picture in my head of a cervelo P4 with zipp wheels and lots of other bling having to be sold in the UK with a bell on ;-)

didds
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i think the law for reflectors is that you are supposed to have a rear one after dusk, although if you rode with a rear lamp instead then that would probably be ok.

bike shops are supposed to sell bikes with bellls fitted (i think) but no legal requirement to have them on the bike.

there is a legal requirement to have orange pedal reflectors after dusk, and my spd-sl's even came with a set! didn't fit them though, to save weight .

worth bearing in mind that all these laws were written in the 80's when bike lights were massive battery hungry things or piddly dynamos.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    The Dynamo,which had the 'fatal' flaw,that when you stopped at a junction your lights went out and you got hit from behind.Maybe that's why some cyclists don't stop at junctions now.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    If you're doing an evening time trial you'll be required to have a back light.

Yes, I always wondered that about Dynamo lights! Doh.
    Cheers, I usually transfer the lights from my commuter if necessary, just no reflectors. Though it's rare my race bike sees dusk
  • a nice set of windbreaker lights should do, complete with the heaviest batteries available..

Actually i normally strip everything off the bike possible when racing .. haven't thought about what the official line is .. good point well raised.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    I can understand not using a bell when racing etc but a plea for anyone riding on shared tracks to at least shout at pedestrians so they have a chance to get out of the way! I had yet another run in with someone this morning who nearly had me and the dog over because you can't hear a bike coming (I don't walk with a MP3 player or anything).

I just want the opportunity to get out of the way! Also the dog is rather keen on bikes and I don't want to be responsible for knocking someone off and ruining their shiny red bike and the last time I hit the dog on the bike she just had a big rubber mark down her back leg for ages but next time it could be more expensive
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    durhamvam wrote:
    and the last time I hit the dog on the bike she just had a big rubber mark down her back leg for ages but next time it could be more expensive
    Did they hit you back? sorry, its friday and i'm tired

My SPD's didn't come with any kind of reflector strip, nor did my other pedals which are on my commuter. Are they really a requirement?
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    true highway code says that pedal reflectors should be used at night
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    wow, that's very strange. i guess it's like those archaic laws that no one has ever bothered to repeal that say things like you can not turn left on odd numbered tuesdays in may if the sun is at least 80% covered by cloud and there is a lark singing, unless your horse is grey...
    or that you can still shoot a Scotsman from the walls of York with a bow and arrow

(sorry I'm still at work and still bored)
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    durhamvam wrote:
    or that you can still shoot a Scotsman from the walls of York with a bow and arrow

(sorry I'm still at work and still bored)
    I heard it was a Welshman from the walls of Chester with a bow and arrow.

Still on the train. Cramped, sore and bored.
    hooray I've finished - not well done but done enough that it won't show too badly when the paper is submitted and can be fixed when it comes back from the referees

Now off to the pub!

It's illegal to sneeze in Newmarket though in case the horses get a cold

and apparently also not to stop your small child looking up the skirts of shop manikins!

Hope the train ride is soon finished Jack

VAM
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    I got a box of reflectors and a "bell" with my bike - honestly I think people would hear me breathing louder than that thing. The box went straight in the cupboard.