Home Chat General Chat

Taper for OD

In the interest of getting more triathlon related posts on here, and drawing on some of the more experienced guys... er. experience. What is a good day by day taper leading up to an OD next Sunday?

And on a more personal level, as part of my taper should I do a 30km bike / 10km run brick this arvo, or should I be cutting my distances back a bit?

Comments

• chapperschappers Posts: 97
    I'm not experienced, just making it up as I go along, but I did my first OD yesterday (2nd tri) at ripon. This is what I did from sat last week..

Sat: 2.25km ow swim (basically to check I was ok with the distance as shoulder still not right after cracked rib)
    sun: brick- 1.5hrs turbo with intervals and a 10km run at race pace
    mon: 4km row, 5km farlek and core
    tue: 40min turbo early morning, evening brick- 40min turbo, 4mile run
    wed: hill intervals (7mile overall), evening 1.5km easy paced pool swim
    Thurs: nothing, rest and eatI
    fri: brick- 20min turbo and 10min more than race pace run

sat was the race (slightly over standard OD as bike was 44km) finished in 2:27:57

I'd go for the brick today! Good luck next week
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    I'm doing the same race and i did an almost full race distance today. 37.5k bike + 10k run, mainly to prove to myself that i could cover the distance and finish the race! Was easier than i thought, but still hard work.
    Go for it i say!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    this has generally answered a question I was going to post.

I've been conscious of tapering correctly before my first OD at Strathclyde. A few weeks back I done a sprint onthe sunday, 10k run + 2.5K swim on the Thurs and then a OW sprint the following sunday.
    on the OW sprint I was foocked.... I had nothing in me.

Conehead, you seem to recommend not tapering but how come I was so gubbed on the OW sprint? I either put it down to too much too quick or not recovering properly. So is it not a case of everyone is different and to how fit you actually are? surely a novice should be looking to taper properly, even for purely good practice if they have longer distance aspirations?

I was fully intending to taper the week leading up to the OD but I'm thinking now that I'm gaining fitness levels then I should be looking to push myself.