Home Chat General Chat

Realistic 10km goal

So I've done a few 10km races, best time 48mins, yet to do a OD tri, but best 5km in a sprint was 24mins which writing it down seems to suggest something... i.e. one pace Dave!

I've got one sprint and an OD race (A race) to go for this season, OD race is on 20th september.

Now realistically, is there any hope of me improving my 10km time? Should I just concentrate on doing the distance and then look to improve next season?

My dream is to run sub 40min one day (not this year obviously), but being 35 am I living in cloud cuckoo land? And can I improve my 10km time whilst still training two other disciplines?

Honest opinions welcome, you won't hurt my feelings... sniff.

Comments

• 45CDO45CDO Posts: 44
    Ref the 10k for your upcoming race - I'm not sure as I don't have enough experience to give advice but ref your sub 40 min goal sub - IMO - You absolutely can do it. I have been sub 40 about ten years ago and I'm 100% determined to get back there. Once I've built up a better base I'll be introducing Tempo runs, intervals etc.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    40 mins or sub 40 for 10 k yes you can do it, i dont think it will be for the races this year but you can and should be able to achieve it.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Lets start by what running sessions do you do in a week?

I am a firm believer that the cross training nature of triathlon means that for the most part running sessions can focus on quality, not quantity. The only 'easy' running I do is a warm up and warm down, I don't do long runs except in the off season as a long bike will develop the cardiovascular system in the same way.

In order to improve time I focus on these 3 quality running sessions.

Sub threshold - either as a sustained tempo run or cruise intervals just on/below threshold
    Quality intervals - normally in the region of 3-5 mins so 1k to a mile, with equal rest periods.
    Running technique work - usually track based, with drills, plyometrics and submaximal running sets of 200/400 working on running style and holding technique whilst increasing pace or hill running.

THAT SAID PLEASE READ THIS! - I have been running for many years, my body is used to dealing with high pace hard running sessions (altho with recent injures I'm starting to wonder!) this is not the kind of stuff for a beginner as running has by far the most potential to cause injury in triathlon. So if you have not been used to doing quality sessions before you will not be able to jump straight into these.
    I would suggest starting on the tempo/cruise interval sessions as they will give you the most gains at this time.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    35? Pah! Whipper snapper!
    Mike Trees is late 40's and wins the Parkrun. His 5k time is sub 16 mins I think.
    Seriously though.
    Interval training, 5k time trials, fartleks. All those will push your threshold.
    The longer you can maintain that the faster you'll be... Next year.
    It's gonna take time.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Agree with the comments above. Especially the watch out for injury!

The only thing I wanted to add is about weight. You need to be lean to run sub 40. To a certain extent that will be a by product of the training, but there is a bit of a chicken and egg thing - lower weight reduces the risk of injury (to a certain extent), so, unless you are already nice and lean, that might be an objective. So diet/nutrition may also be a part of your training strategy.

I'll also mention "Jack Daniels Running Formula", which is well worth looking at if you are serious about cutting down your times.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Nice one thanks everyone!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hi Dave

The guys have hit the nail on the head there.
    I just wanted to pitch in with some add ons. I am a resonable runner and can manage a 43 in train ing for 10K. I just cant do it in a race. I do about 5 10K's a year and so far have put a 49 on the board and a 50.11.
    Now for me its the whole issue of getting caught up in other peoples races and not sticking to my own negative split game plan.
    Its a mental fitness hardness you need to work on as well. If the disapline is there in your technique get in your mind as well.

Good luck dude.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Alright Dave - good to see you on sat.

You've got the same run time as me and similar aspirations!!

If you fancy going for a run after work - could try and kill each other off with a few intervals/fartlek....