Home Chat General Chat

Shin splints before IMUK

I've got shin splints and obviously like most people don't want my fitness to drop and have IMUK on August 2nd. What is the best approach for this i.e. is it ok to continue cycling and swimming and cut out the running or is it necessary for total rest?

Help...

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I assume you are fit as a butchers dog already otherwise you aren't ready for IM anyway.

If this is the case then i think you have to stop running altogether for now. You won't lose too much. Your shins won't get better if you run, you can't 'run through' shin splints. You have to give your muscles chance to repair, if you run - you'll just aggravate them and prolong the repair process. Any race speed lost through the lack of running in the next few weeks will be more than made up for by the extra comfort (speed) you'll feel through allowing your legs to recover more.

*******DISCLAIMER********
    I'm no expert and know nothing really. All this is just my opinion based on limited knowledge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • revershedrevershed Posts: 49
    Sounds like I need to get an official diagnosis. It's only through reading on t'interweb that I 'think' it's this. By what you describe (splints of bone sticking into soft tissue) the pain would be a constant? My pain is only through movement.
  • revershedrevershed Posts: 49
    Been to see my cousin who's a Dr this afternoon. She says it's probably too high to be shin splints, probably
    tendinitis. Rest it fully for 48hrs and reassess.
  • another disclaimer that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but...

For the last few moths I have been nursing a stress fracture back to health before IMUK. I used a cross trainier to simulate running without any impact. Perhaps this could be of some use to you?

Ewan